Re: [Antennaware] AV-640 SWR Creep

To: atrampler@att.net, antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] AV-640 SWR Creep
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:18:25 -0400
Admittedly from a bit of a pessimist about manufacturers using the
least in products they could get away with instead of the best...

Any one of the components you mentioned could give the behavior you
quote.  Capacitors WILL change value as they heat up.  In truth
putting a real kW+ on a lot of "bought" antennas will stress the
components to change value and eventually fail.

Rated at 1.5 Kw probably means 700 watts at the antenna and that just
not causing flashovers or obvious heating.

Shortened vertical antennas need higher current to radiate the same power.

When I make stuff like your antenna parts for friends, I use things
like RG400, large powdered iron toroids, transmitting door knob caps
in parallel rated in total for TWICE the expected reactive current,
double-polyimide-coated wire plus teflon tubing for toroid windings,
and so forth.

Depending on how much you like the antenna when it's working, you will
find that just about all the components can be upgraded in some
manner.  But if you don't go for them all then you risk having the
problem that the most stressed component which you find and upgrade
simply transfers the problem to the next most stressed.

The "jump" you mention sounds more like something shorting with heat,
but not carrying the entire current path. Could be a connection that
is not well bonded or a solder joint evaporated of solder from
lightning induction.

But the only thing that will work is the careful replacement and
redoing of joints and components.

If you like the antenna, go "class" with your replacements.

73, Guy.