N2IC QRP opinions

Subject: N2IC QRP opinions
From: es@mvuxb.att.com (es@mvuxb.att.com)
Date: Fri Dec 4 16:01:00 1992
I don't share Steve, N2IC's, preference for eliminating the QRP
categories.  I have listed what appear to be Steve's reasons for
elimination followed by my comments.

1. (QRP operators have a sense of great accomplishment by tormenting
   everyone else with puny signals.)
   I have worked a few contests in the QRP category (mostly SS) and
   have never felt this way.  My goal has always been to optimize my
   score.  What would be served by tormenting operators, thereby jeopardizing
   potential QSO points?  If I can't work them with a couple of calls I try
   later.

2. (Do we feel there is no sense in competing with the same category as the
   high power stations?)
   Without categories for different power levels, stations running less than
   full power, feeling that they can't really compete with those running QRO,
   won't bother to put in a full time or serious effort.  This will obviously
   result in reduced overall participation and lower QSO totals for everyone,
   including those running full power.

3. (I know TVI/RFI is a pain, but virtually everyone I know can run 100+
   Watts before that gets to be a serious problem.)
   You seem to be advocating running as much power as possible until it
   becomes a "serious problem".
   TVI/RFI is a function of many variables including power.  The affects on
   neighbors and families, and ultimately the Ham Operator, are subjective
   and therefore vary widely.  One person's notion of a minor nuisance is
   a serious problem for another.  What is wrong with running a power level
   capable of spanning the globe while having no effect on your neighbor's
   electronics?

4. (Lets use peer pressure to keep top contesters from intentionally
   handicapping themselves with poorer antennas than they are capable of
   having.)
   I don't think that this is any way to make friends at your next club
   meeting.  Furthermore, I know of no "top contesters" who intentionally
   choose a weaker smaller antenna over a louder one without having first
   drunk a few to many...

5. (We need to improve the state-of-the-art, and not stagnate just so we
   can win a certificate in a category that is below our potential.)
   You are inferring that QRPers and others who aren't competing in the
   unlimited category are not furthering the state-of-the-art.  The 25 dB
   that separates the QRPer and the high power station is generally derived
   from technology that is at least 20 years old.  With the exception of
   fast band changing and auto-tuning, which the QRPers have had for
   many years, there hasn't been fundamental change in commercial
   amateur radio amplifier technology in this timeframe.  In the other
   aspects of operation; computer applications, antennas, high performance
   radios, operator skill, etc., serious QRP contesters are not behind their
   QRO brethren. If anything, to overcome the 25 dB, they work especially hard
   at optimizing the systems and skills they have to work with.

-Ed, K1TR