telephone poles & misc

Subject: telephone poles & misc
From: hwardsil@seattleu.edu (Ward Silver)
Date: Fri Mar 26 19:27:19 1993
DE: Ward, N0AX

Hey guys...AA7FT and I are mulling the plausibility of telephone poles as

towers.  The cost seems reasonable, but what of the problems mounting the

hardware on the poles?  Any experience or recommended designs/articles out

there in contest-land?

On other topics:

24-hr contest - see K7SS' letter in NCJ, this issue...I more or less go along

with Danny; not another category, but use submitted hours to generate a box

score, nothing else, duration could be anything from 6 hours to 24.

Busted calls - bad QSO should result in removal only, penalty should only be

assessed if threshold of x% is reached.  However, say a guy gets a terrific

run on 10-meter SSB in the Novice/Tech area where most of the calls won't

send in a log?  What then?  It looks like a really high busted or unique

rate?  I'm not real sure this one has a good, general solution.

New Blood - I bet we'd get a lot of interest if we could figure out how to

make this a little more spectator-friendly and could get some kind of results

back in less than a year.  Many of my acquaintances are quite interested in

the sport until they find out they can't watch it and nobody knows who won

until 6-9 months later!!  Sometimes I wonder myself...

Glad to finally be on board, here...

73, Ward