"Final QSL"

Subject: "Final QSL"
From: 72407.1262@CompuServe.COM (Rich K2WR)
Date: Sun Mar 28 09:36:28 1993
John K2MM opens up a good topic for debate as a side issue to the
"busted call" penalty question. Not only do a lot of calls make their
way into contest logs without the operator having heard the
"final QSL", but quite a number of high-rate expedition operators
these days never give a "final QSL" ! When the running station ends
the QSO by giving "QSL", "R", or "TU", I doubt anyone would dispute
that confirmation has been achieved, but when no such indication has
been given and the running station simply gives his call (implying
a new "QRZ" or "CQ") the situation is much less clear. Apparently
the idea is that the absence of a request for a repeat or fill
implies confirmation, but I've never been comfortable with this
style of operating. Maybe a sudden propagation fade kept him from
hearing my entire transmission and he decided just to go on rather
than waste time and trash his rate struggling to hear me.
I believe it's in the interest of everyone in the contest community
to encourage operating styles that leave no doubt as to whether an
exchange has been copied at both ends or not. Comments?

de Rich K2WR