subscribe

Subject: subscribe
From: pascoe@MathWorks.COM (pascoe@MathWorks.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 21 18:00:00 1993
subscribe

>From Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM>  Tue Sep 21 23:26:49 1993
From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)
Subject: administrative note

Administrative note:

I have moved the CQ-Contest mailing list to a new list management system.
This system has a number of advantages, including the automatic management
administrative requests.  (IMHO, the most important feature!).  To get a
list of these commands, send a message to CQ-Contest-Request@TGV.COM with
the message text "HELP".

The way to post messages to the list will remain unchanged.

There are some other new features I consdier significant:

o White pages capability

  + I would like to use the CQ-Contest list as a white pages directory of
    email addresses for the contest community.

  + New subscribers to the list will have their email addresses published
    unless they specify otherwise with the SET CONCEAL command.

  + Those who want to be listed in the white pages but don't want to
    receive postings to the list can do by subscribing to the list and then
    turning off mail delivery with the SET NOMAIL command.  This command is
    also useful for people who are going to be away and want their CQ-Contest
    mail delivery suspended while they are gone.  It is also useful for
    people who are reading via sub-reflectors but would still like their
    address published.

  + To get a list of the subscribers, send a message with the text "REVIEW"
    to CQ-Contest-Request@TGV.COM.

  + I tried to get make everyone CONCEALed or NOCONCEALed based on WB2EKK and
    WB5VZL's lists, but I probably made some mistakes.  Use the QUERY command
    to check your own status.

o Suppress message from yourself capability

  + Some subscribers have a need not to receive message to the list that they
    originate.  They can suppress messages they originate by doing a SET
    NOREPRO.

In summary, you can get help by sending a message CQ-Contest-Request@TGV.COM
with a text of "HELP".  You must send commands in the body of the message;
subject lines are ignored.  Send these messages to the -Request address,
*NOT* to the list address.  Such messages will be transmitted to *every*
subscriber on the list and ignored by the -Request robot -- a complete waste
of time for everybody, including yourself.

If you have any questions about the new system, please send them directly to
me rather than to the entire group.

Happy hacking.

--Trey, WN4KKN/6