Contest/DXpedition Radios

Subject: Contest/DXpedition Radios
From: 0015017@msgate.emis.hac.com (0015017@msgate.emis.hac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 2 17:16:58 1994
From: Balmforth, Kevin D
Subject: Re: Contest/DXpedition Radios
To: CQ CONTEST
Ken WM2C asked for recommendations on contest/DXpedition radios...

I've used an FT-890 for a year and like it very much.  It is compact, has an
internal keyer, and a very fast auto-tuner with memories.  The tuner is nice
if you have a less than optimum antenna.  It uses the Yaesu C.A.T computer
interface, and it puts out an honest 110 W.  You can put decent CW and SSB
filters in it (the tiny ceramic stock SSB filter is marginally adequate for
contests) and the IF shift and notch work well.  On the down side, the CW
pitch is not adjustable (fixed at 800 Hz), the RIT is not "clearable", and
there is no internal power supply.  I use an Icom PS-35 switching power supply
housed in a small aluminum box; this combination runs all day long on CW
without getting hot.  The FT-890 and power supply, along with 25' RG-8X and a
dipole fit easily in a gym bag, which I carry on airlines for travel.  No, I
don't work for Yaesu.

Good luck and see you in the Sprints.
73, Kevin NC6U (0015017@msgate.emis.hac.com)