Antenna & Operating Philosphy

Subject: Antenna & Operating Philosphy
From: km9p@aol.com (km9p@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 11 18:19:14 1994
OK...  Let's say you live in Georgia...  On 10 & 15 meters most of your QSO's
will come from Europe...  I would guess 70 to 75% of your QSO's.  During
sunspot peaks, these two bands can make up 2/3 of your total QSO volume for
an entire DX contest.

Question:  Does it make ANY sense to optimize an antenna for F/B if you live
in Georgia?

The areas I am interested in rejecting are W5, W6, W7, and W0.  The only
other areas would be the east coast, and I havn't found an antenna that
rejects K1AR and not G4BUO!   So, since an antenna optimized for gain still
looks like it has good front to side rejection, why optimize for F/B in my
location?

Thinking further on this...  Since such a HUGE percentage of my score comes
from Europe on those two bands at the top of the sunspot cycle, wouldn't it
be wise to invest the same percentage of money into optimizing my signal for
those bands in that direction?  How about a 4 square of stacked yagis fixed
to europe?  In the words of Homer Simpson... Mmmm... No rotors!   Mmmmm.. Big
signal!  Mmmm... beer!  When you think about it, isn't that what K1EA has
done?  4 high stack to europe, with the top rotary for other
directions....Gee, doesn't he do pretty well?

Interested in your comments.  Thanks... Bill Fisher, KM9P@AOL.COM