CONTESTS

Subject: CONTESTS
From: DEVANS@lynx.colorado.edu (DEVANS@lynx.colorado.edu)
Date: Tue May 24 16:29:45 1994
>Internal radiophysics.com LAN RFC 822 headers
>From evans@dablik Tue May 24 09:22:15 1994
>To: interput@dablik("in%""cq-contest@tgv.com""")
>From: evans@dablik (D. R. Evans)
>Subject: Re: CONTESTS

>2.  Novice round-up.  Didn't know it was broken.  If the no-coders
>need a contest, give them one.  Don't mess up the round-up.
>The round-up could use something to encourage NON-novices to come
>work the novices.

For the first two or three years after I received my US call, I went on in
NR and tried to work several novices. NOT ONE of them could copy my
callsign; they all, without exception, tried to mangle it into a 1x3. (And
yes, I kept repeating it more and more slowly.) Eventually, I gave up in
disgust and have never tried again. I don't know what the moral of this is
(other than that I should get a 1x3 c/s) but it does explain why this
non-novice is never heard in NR any more.

Doc Evans NQ0I/G4AMJ : devans@orion.colorado.edu
                       al019@freenet.hsc.colorado.edu

>From Dave Curtis <dcurtis@mipos2.intel.com>  Tue May 24 16:49:54 1994
> >2.  Novice round-up.  Didn't know it was broken.  If the no-coders
> >need a contest, give them one.  Don't mess up the round-up.
> >The round-up could use something to encourage NON-novices to come
> >work the novices.
> >

> For the first two or three years after I received my US call, I went on in
> NR and tried to work several novices. NOT ONE of them could copy my
> callsign; they all, without exception, tried to mangle it into a 1x3. (And
> yes, I kept repeating it more and more slowly.) Eventually, I gave up in
> disgust and have never tried again. I don't know what the moral of this is
> (other than that I should get a 1x3 c/s) but it does explain why this
> non-novice is never heard in NR any more.

That doesn't match my experience.  I think you had a run of bad luck.

-Dave NG0X
dcurtis@mipos2.intel.com