DSP Filters and Contesting

Subject: DSP Filters and Contesting
From: mikemr@microsoft.com (mikemr@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue May 24 13:30:46 1994
I have been using a TimeWave DSP-59 for over a year, and I think it's
a really useful box to reduce fatigue. I use it on the noise-reduction
mode during the contest (I usually save all the other cool functions
for casual DXing) and my empirical data indicate that I am much less
fatigued at the end of a long stretch (and my ears don't ring after
24 hours). The noise filter algorithm seems to be much more effective on
the higher bands (i.e., 10 meters) than the low bands. I suspect this
is because the atmospheric noise has different characteristics on 80 and
160. On 10 meters, the noise is fairly "white" and the TimeWave reduces
it dramatically. All in all, it's a great investment IMHO.

73  Mike  N6MZ  mikemr@microsoft.com