Tower holes

Subject: Tower holes
From: BlckHole@aol.com (BlckHole@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 21 12:45:00 1994
OK, now that we know who cheats/who's legal.....

Does anyone have a comment on square vs round holes for tower bases and guy
anchor posts ??

No, seriously.

I am installing another tower, a 90' Rohn 45 and really hate to dig holes for
bases (rocks, ect).  A back hoe does such a messy job on the small 2'x2'
holes needed for guyed tower bases (They normally can't dig 'em this small
and for various reasons, I'm trying to limit the size of the pad).  I was
thinking of having someone come in and auger 24" diameter holes for the base
and the guy posts.  The question is, would there be a problem with movement
of the whole concrete mass if a circular cross section was used instead of a
square cross section ??

I'm sure the base would be fine since that is just under compression.  My
concern is the guy points with the side pull.  I'm using 10 foot sections of
 8" wide-flange I-beam for the guy posts.  5 feet above ground and 5 feet
below grade.

Comments (direct please !!)  ??     Sorry if I should have known better.....

Keith  WB9TIY
BlckHole@aol.com