marking coax

Subject: marking coax
From: ERIC.L.SCACE@adn.sprint.com (ERIC.L.SCACE@adn.sprint.com)
Date: Tue Jul 26 20:50:49 1994
Two other ideas:

1.  Go to a computer supply store.  Buy the sheets of cable labels that can be
placed in a printer.  Print, write, or type on the cable label.  Pull label
off and apply to cable.
    Each label is a strip that begins with a white band, and then continues
with several inches of clear material.  The strip is coated with an adhesive
so that, when wrapped around a cable, the clear material wraps over the white
label to protect the label markings, and the whole thing sticks to the cable.
    We use tons of these in our network switching centers, which (as you can
imagine) each have thousands of cables.

2.  Go to the electrical supply store.  Buy a set of rolls of colored Scotch
88 electrical tape.  There are many colors to choose from.  Wrap one or more
colored bands at the ends of your cables, and keep a legend.  I use about six
colors (wht, blu, red, grn, bwn, yel), so two bands gives me 36 combinations.
Three bands gives another 216 possibilities.
   For convention, I "read" the colors starting from the connector-end of the
cable so as to not confuse RED-BLU with BLU-RED.
   In a few cases I also put labels in the middle of a cable run (e.g., at the
bottom of the tower).  In this case, I also add a wrap of black tape to show
which way to read the colors (i.e., the black tape band takes the role of the
connector, so that blk-red-blu is equivalent to a red-blu cable).
   The drawback of this method is that one has to keep a list of cables.  For
convention, I use the order of the applicable colors within resistor color
code to organize the list:  bwn, red, yel, grn, blu, wht... then bwn-bwn,
bwn-red, bwn-yel, bwn-grn, etc.
   This system is superior to using ty-wraps: the cable thickness changes very
little; the tape does not get brittle and fall off as easily as a ty-wrap; the
cable is not pinched; there is no distance to measure between bands/wraps; the
colors hold up well in the outdoors and are easy to replace if/when fading
becomes a problem.

-- Eric K3NA

Eric.L.Scace@ADN.Sprint.Com