N6AA vs N3RS

Subject: N6AA vs N3RS
From: /G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk (/G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 15 15:07:49 1994

It was Dick N6AA's excellent BVQP piece that prompted me to post to the
reflector the feelings of a number of UK contesters who used to enter WAE
until packet was allowed.

Several postings since have debated the packet good/bad issue. This seems
irrelevant to my point, which is that major contests should give some
choice. WAE has no choice: if you can't or won't use packet you have to
go in the category with those that do. Randy says just enter but don't use
packet: here in Europe that is going to give you at least about a 10%
disadvantage.

As to Sig's point that we should only have contest rules which can be
related to the 'observables' - this is a dangerous route to follow. For
example, without station inspections (across the world) you can't verify
how many operators are at a station or how many transmitters are in use.
So, following Sig's rule philosophy, there would be just the one contest
class - multi multi. We have commonly undertood definitions of contest
classes and almost without exception, people stick to them. If you reduce
rules to a minimum based on 'observables' the very few cheats will have
won, and radio contesting will have been ruined for me and probably many
others.

My problem with single op packet is this: if I get someone into my shack,
set him up with a RX and antenna and he passes me mults on a piece of paper,
that would be multi-op. If I benefit from everyone on the Eu cluster network
passing me spots, somehow that is single op. It needs to be recognised as a
separate class: single op assisted.

Dave G4BUO