another tape loop story

Subject: another tape loop story
From: kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov (Gilmore Creek Geophysical Observatory)
Date: Tue Aug 16 03:02:04 1994
  If we are talking about the olden times and voice loops, I
remember the big disaster of 78. We were also using tape recorders
for CQ's, but were having problems with RF getting into them. They
would work for awhile then we would start getting complains of
busted audio, that kind of thing.
  One of the ops that contested with us worked for the local phone
company. Thursday night before the contest he brought over a real
phone company voice annunciator. This thing weighed in at 50
pounds. It had a spinning disc and could record for about 10
seconds. Completely RFI proof. Probably cost about 10 thousand
bucks.
  I build six little boxes with an audio switch and volume control.
The idea was to record a "great CQ" then run the machine for the
weekend and pick up the CQ wherever it was in the message. That
night we finally got everything set up and tried the new secret
weapon "CQ" machine. And one by one the DC voltage on the audio
line blew out the microphone circuit in each TS820.
  About 30 minutes before the contest the radios were repaired and
the secret weapon was out in the truck never to be seen again in
the contest station.
KL7RA