SCREW-IN GUY ANCHORS: RESPONSE

Subject: SCREW-IN GUY ANCHORS: RESPONSE
From: N6ZZ@aol.com (N6ZZ@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 16 08:28:33 1994
Here is some feedback from my screw-in guy anchor query a few weeks ago,
thanks to KY1H, K1VR, KR2J, WN4KKN, K5FUV, K5MR, N6MM, W6QHS, AA6T, K6XO,
K7GM, WA8LLY/6, KM9P, WX0B, K0GU, K0OU/4 and K0SF--a real list operation!

Rohn does indeed make an anchor that's 4 feet long, w/ a 6-inch plate, at
least according to an ancient catalog that I have---which even depicts two
smiling, nattily-attired workers installing one of these devices.  Some of
you have said they install easily using a piece of pipe or bar to turn 'em
with, others have pointed out that they're not too suitable for rocky soil,
as they have the ability to seek out rocks!  In any case, lots of guys out
there are using them.

Soil composition is a real key.  Recently landscaped or loosely packed soil
appears to increase the risk factor--since holding power is related to what's
between the anchor plate and the surface.  With loose soil & lots of rain
followed by winds, and the tower quickly becomes horizontal instead of
vertical.  While there was reluctance to install these anchors on towers
above 60 or 70 feet, some have used them for well over 100 feet with
success---and careful installation.

Installation so that the anchor rod is at a 45 degree angle is facilitated by
using a post-hole digger to dig a small starter hole, just enough so that the
plate will catch the soil.  With proper installation and reasonably cohesive
soils,  it becomes a challenge to remove the anchors when it's time to change
QTH--although probably not as difficult as removing a concrete bunker!  In
some cases, rain can cause the anchors to shift slightly, as evidenced by
changes in guy tension--again, probably related to soil expanding and
contracting with the moisture.

WA8LLY was concerned about the holding capability of his screw-in anchor in
his soft soil. He installed one, and tried pulling it out with a jeep, and
succeeded in burying the jeep in the soil!

Rohn may make something larger than the 4-foot model mentioned above.  And
utility companies use screw-in anchors quite frequently.  I'm also told that
mobile home installers use some type of anchor device to protect mobile homes
from winds and earthquakes, but I haven't checked that out.

Finally, K0SF mentions A.B. Chance Company, in Centralia, MO.  They've been
making guy anchors for 80 years (must be a real solid company), including
some that are large enough to keep the earth from rotating.  A courteous
phone call to them at 314-682-5521, asking for their "Encyclopedia of
Anchoring"  will yield an interesting book outlining various options for guy
anchoring.  They specialize in the heavy-duty stuff that is installed by an
auger-type device (sounds better than the two sweat-free guys in the Rohn
book).  Their hardware is probably heftier than that required for most
installations, but if you have special issues (like K0SF who is guying a
130-foot tower in a swamp), they may be able to help.

The many responses were most welcome.  For my installation, I was having
nightmares about a concrete truck making an unscheduled visit into my septic
system on the way back to pour concrete for guy anchors.  It appears that the
screw-in approach may be an appropriate solution, at least for me.  Thanks,
gents!

73, Phil - N6ZZ                                      N6ZZ@AOL.COM

From: DAVID ROBBINS KY1H W-413-494-6955 H-413-655-2714
ROBBINS@GUID2.DNET.GE.COM <robbins@guid2.dnet.ge.com> (DAVID ROBBINS KY1H
W-413-494-6955 H-413-655-2714 ROBBINS@GUID2.DNET.GE.COM
<robbins@guid2.dnet.ge.com>)
Subject: short memory

i'm sorry for my short memory, and for blowing the message away, but can
someone refresh me on how to get the latest PED on here when i don't have
ftp available?  or could someone just mail me the latest PED UUEncoded?

73, Dave KY1H  Robbins@guid2.dnet.ge.com

p.s. pls don't post replies to the reflector, i'm sure most others aren't
interested in a reprise of this information.