grounding the neutral

Subject: grounding the neutral
From: ERIC.L.SCACE@adn.sprint.com (ERIC.L.SCACE@adn.sprint.com)
Date: Thu Aug 25 16:07:39 1994
Eric NV6O mentioned being sure that the neutral from one's electrical power
feed was grounded in the box where the surge protector is installed.

I would like an explanation of this.  I was taught that the neutral is
grounded AT ONLY ONE LOCATION: the transformer where the neutral line is
developed.... NEVER in the distribution panel.

    _______________   ||                      =========> to distribution panel
                  _)  ||   ________________________________ A
                  _)  ||  (_
    some          _)  ||  (_
    hefty         _)  ||  (____________________ Neutral
    voltage       _)  ||  (_      |
    coming        _)  ||  (_    to earth - - - - - - - - - - - - ground wire
    down the      _)  ||  (________________________________ B
    street        _)  ||
    _______________)  ||
                      ||                A-B voltage = 240 VAC
                  transformer           A-neutral = 120 VAC
                                        B-netural = 120 VAC

According to my information, if one grounds (earths) the neutral at any other
additional location, there is a serious risk of power feeding through the
ground system.  This is particularly dangerous if, for some reason, the
neutral line is broken any where in the wiring system, as all return currents
will start flowing over the ground wires.  Ground wires are not sized to carry
return currents, and are intended only for SAFETY REFERENCE GROUNDS, not power
handling.

The surge protector is a unit placed between the A side, B side, neutral, and
ground.

However, I must confess that I am not a commercial electrician nor power
transmission system engineer.  So maybe I am wrong.

I would like this point clarified as quickly as possible, before incorrect
information gets into the hands of other people.  Is there anyone on the
reflector who is a commercial power system engineer and can comment on these
points?

Eric  K3NA

eric.L.scace@ADN.sprint.com