aluminum wire

Subject: aluminum wire
From: ERIC.L.SCACE@adn.sprint.com (ERIC.L.SCACE@adn.sprint.com)
Date: Thu Aug 25 16:34:05 1994
   It should be noted that many shortwave broadcasting stations have modern
open wire transmission lines and antenna arrays made from alumoweld
wire/cable.  Alumoweld is like copperweld, except that aluminum forms the
outer skin around the central steel core in each wire.

   Alumoweld is lighter than copperweld for the same mechanical strength.  It
is better than copperweld from a maintenance standpoint because surface damage
to the cable is self-healing.  The aluminum oxide layer that forms when
exposed to air is protective.  When nicked, copperweld wire does not form a
protective layer and the steel rusts, leading to failure of the wire strand.

   These high-power transmitter sites would not use aluminum cabling if there
were any kind of significant losses or maintenance problems at joints, etc.
(Joints are usually made by mechanical fasteners -- no funny pastes or fusion
splices.)

   I believe that the problems mentioned in an earlier message with the use of
aluminum wiring for someone's vertical antennas on an expedition must have
been due to other factors.

-- Eric K3NA
eric.L.scace@adn.sprint.com

   [ By the way, W3LPL installed antennas last year with copperweld
"Flexweave", sold through The Wireman.  Flexweave is a braided cable where the
strands are small-diameter copperweld wires.  After less than one year in the
air in a normal rural environment, the wires had completed rusted!!!
Apparently the braiding process was so damaging to the cable that virtually
every strand was nicked in many many places.  The steel rust, when it galls
(expands outward), sheds the copper layer.  The result:  many wire antennas
made of rusty steel wire -- all in the near fields of W3LPL's many yagi's!  It
all had to be thrown away. ]