Bureaucracy

Subject: Bureaucracy
From: ERIC.L.SCACE@adn.sprint.com (ERIC.L.SCACE@adn.sprint.com)
Date: Wed Sep 7 13:31:59 1994
Len WF2V recently wrote:
"From my own experience, I find that the
ARRL can get specialized services done well (contests, QST publishing,
QSL cards, etc) but when it comes to legal, moral, or controversial
issues, many times it gets "lost" (ignored) in the system."

   In my own experience, EVERY organization has this attribute.

   Organizations get lots of practice in handling the normal, day-to-day
business.  Most do good jobs on the routine stuff.  The organizations that do
consistently poor jobs on routine business tend to disappear (in a competitive
marketplace).

   But when something out of the ordinary is presented, it becomes a
"problem".  It takes time to handle.  The task gets pushed upstairs if it
seems controversial, or shoved off to the side in favor of easier work.  Most
people prefer to get the easy stuff done and off their desks.  The "hard pile"
can sit around for quite a while.

   And when matters get pushed upstairs, they have to compete for attention.
A one-shot problem is not going to seem very important in the overall scheme
of things to a manager, unless it carries a big price tag and lots of
visibility.  Almost every effective manager has far more tasks than can be
accomplished; part of his/her job is to pick the ones most worthwhile to do
and trash the rest.  ("executive triage")

   Besides, ARRL (and most other ham radio organizations) do NOT pay big bucks
for crackerjack people with brains the size of a planet.  (This is my
outsider's perspective.)  Most people working at ARRL do so because they WANT
to WORK in ham radio -- not because it is a great lucrative career path.
There are many very good people there who could make a far better salary
working elsewheres.  The rest of us, for whom radio is a hobby, should take a
moment from time to time to express appreciation for what these people
accomplish.

   Every place has its flaws and some employees that, in retrospect, one
wishes that had not been hired... and every place makes some spectacular and
minor screwups on a regular basis.  ARRL seems no worse than most -- and, for
what I've paid to them in dues and for their books & software, I've gotten my
money's worth many many many times over.  I wish I got as much bang for the
buck from most other places I pay money to for equipment & services.

-- Eric K3NA