Comments on WRTC

Subject: Comments on WRTC
From: cmschonewaldcox@ucdavis.edu (cmschonewaldcox@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 14 01:00:37 1994
2C:\wrtc6
Dear WRTC,
1. The latest proposal from the WRTC committee is a BIG step in the
right direction. It is much fairer. However, Europe/JA and USA are
not the same.
    1. The USA is one country in NA.(31% of all QSO's in CQWW)
    2. JA is one country in AS. (23% of all QSO's in CQWW)
    3. Europe is many countries (34% of all QSO's in CQWW)
       12% = rest of the world.
So choosing teams from JA and USA can not be the same as Europe.
The other QSO contributer from NA is VE. The rest of NA and AS
account for a small % of QSO's.

USA:
If the contest results are the only method of choosing teams then
only the NE USA will have teams. I agree with WA8YVR comments.

The reason that "the East appears"  to have good operators is that
they are the only ones who can win in the major contests. There are
equally talented contesters in W7, W6, W0, W8 etc as there are in
MA, CT, MD and NH.

I once asked a constant top 10 USA CQ WW contester to trade places
with me. I said, you come to CA and operate at the best station you
can find I will go to MA and operate with a tribander + 2 on 40.
Then we will see if you still win. The answer is obvious. He stayed
in MA.

JA:
The same geographic advantage exists in JA. JA8,JA7,JA0,JA5 > rest

The scheme of using various international contests is a good one.
So choose winners of CALL AREAS in the USA and JA. It makes for
good feelings and is more representative of the true talent pool.
A second etc. team from a deserving call area should be considered
possible.
Of course there are other areas of NA than the US so add 2 or 3
other teams.

2. Europe: what do europeans think? Has anyone asked those guys?

3. Change the deadline.

Tks especially to the guys that have to "do the right thing".
Congrats to Howard W6AXX on winning a TROPHY in the CQWW! I bet you
did't know yet.
Good Job WRTC committee
73 Bob K3EST