Scategories

Subject: Scategories
From: /G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk (/G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 21 10:12:06 1994

K2WK writes:

> The decision in Europe to do away with the distiction in the Worked
> All Europe contest (and others) regardless of its motives, has proven
> that packet doesn't make all that much difference for the true
> competitor.

It has proven nothing of the sort. In the year when DARC first allowed packet,
not everyone learned of the decision. The packet-assisted scores were way
ahead of the rest.

I'm very disturbed by the argument that because packet cheating may be
difficult to detect, we should change the rules for everyone so that packet
is allowed. I think with careful use of a CD-Rom callsign database and use
of master.dta, I could inflate my score by up to about 10% and not be
detected in many contests. Or, even easier, I could just log those rare
multipliers without bothering to fight through the pileup and actually make
the contact. Should we change the rules so this is ok as well? By proposing
to get rid of the unassisted category you are spoiling it for the vast
majority of us who do not cheat, and giving in to the very few who are
tempted.

A couple of years ago when I was chairman of the RSGB HF Contests Committee
we had an allegation that the leader (on claimed scores) had used packet. I
examined that log and the second-placed log carefully, and checked back
against a listing of all the spots from the packet network. The leading
station's log showed a strong correlation. If he did not already have the
spotted call in the bag, he got it within ten minutes (usually much less)
of the spot appearing. The other station appeared to be in a different
contest! There was no correlation at all. In Europe, use of packet can
make a big difference. I wrote to the leader expressing my strong suspicion
and he withdrew his log. There was recently a discussion on the UK packet
cluster network prompted by W6GO's article and overwhelmingly, the view was
not to give in to the packet cheats. Some of the hardened types may be immune
to such peer pressure but they are very few and I object strongly to their
actions leading to any suggestion of the removal of the unassisted category.

Dave G4BUO