Stealing Frequencies

Subject: Stealing Frequencies
From: tigger@prairienet.org (Sean E. Kutzko)
Date: Mon Nov 7 14:19:01 1994

In regards to coming up on frequency and just calling away, I did that
a couple times, too. My apologies... a 102-degree fever is no fun.

However, that does bring up an interesting question. SEVERAL times this
weekend I was calling CQ, and somebody would just appear out of nowhere and
steal my freq. These folks were 20-40 over. I would ask them to QSY, and they
would just keep calling away. I cannot believe they couldn't hear me; 100w
with a beam pointed down their throat is hard to ignore. I ended up in a brawl
with a couple folks. Sometimes they moved, sometimes I did.

I'm not referring to instances where you've been calling on freq and move
your beam 100 degrees, only to discover there's a QRP guy in Montana on
the same freq that you couldn't hearwhen your beam was pointed the other way.
I mean the cases where the guy is LOUD. And you know YOU'Re loud with him,
because he keeps asking for fills.

If you QSY, find a freq and somebody tells you it's in use, why do you ignore
them

Yes, I've got filters. Yes, you do, too.

See ya in 2 weeks as a QRP'er. If you hear a guy in the mud, that's me.
Cheers,
Sean Kutzko KF9PL
Urbana, IL

--