Unacceptable QSO's ??

Subject: Unacceptable QSO's ??
From: Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL (Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL)
Date: Fri Feb 24 13:28:33 1995
I'm counting V47KAO as a "grey-line" contact.   de k2wk

From: Peter Gerba <pgerba@crl.com> (Peter Gerba)
Subject: (u)

unsubscribe

From: headrick@radar.nrl.navy.mil (James M. Headrick) (James M. Headrick)
Subject: Numeric abbreviations

LOG WHAT IS SENT: 599, ENN, 5NN, and 100, ATT, KW, 1KW, AKW, OR WHATEVER.

                        JIM, W3CPB  headrick@radar.nrl.navy.mil

From: Richard F. DiDonna" <rdidonna@liberty.uc.wlu.edu (Richard F. DiDonna)
Subject: Incomplete exchanges

On Thu, 23 Feb 1995 fish@crl.com wrote:

> I disagree.  The RST part of the exchange is meaningless... and this is just
> another way to abbreviate something on CW.  How is this different from 5NN
> TTT for 599 1000?
>
> If I were DX in arrl my exchange would be NNK.  That's all.

Maybe we could also send 1,000 instead ok KW.

As Bill et al said, RST is pretty damn meaningless.  In fact, in virtually
all contests, the only thing which means anything is the callsign as
programs like CT and NA will automatically enter 599 and will usually
enter CQ zone/country/multiplier based on callsign....

Rich KI6ZH

From: H. Ward Silver" <hwardsil@seattleu.edu (H. Ward Silver)

The rules seem pretty clear to me..."The exchange shall consist of a
signal report and power" (paraphrased a little bit).  Note that it does
not say "signal report OR power", nor does it say "something kinda like a
signal report", etc.  This allows "Q5" on phone, for example.

If V44KAO was not sending power, then BZZZZZZZTTT!!!, that's check log
city for him.  Same deal for sending partial info, not sending info every
time, etc.  Play by the rules or change the rules, guys!

If this became a real issue, then I would suggest that the rule be
clarified as "The exchange shall be six characters, of which the first
three represent a signal report in RST format, followed by three
characters representing the station power.  Abbreviated numerals may be
used for any character and "KW" may be substituted for power."  There are
probably loopholes therein, though.

I mean, if the only thing required is a unique pattern for the station of
interest, then why not a random sequence of letters or just dots and
dashes, for that matter?  The exchange, to my mind, is supposed to
represent a bare minimum of contact information which is relatively equal
in length between stations.  Using the name, for example, would result in
gross disparities between the Ed's and the Pinocchio's of the world, thus
resulting in a preponderance of synthetic Ed's. (I should talk...)

The signal report as used today is meaningless bit patterns which have
almost universally become "5NN".  The only information of interest is the
three character power information.  I support the substitution of serial
number for RST wherever possible.

73, Ward N0AX

From: John Barry <jbarry@curia.ucc.ie> (John Barry)
Subject: ARRL CW from EI7M

                   ARRL CW 1995

      Call: EI7M                     Country:  Rep of Ireland
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Single

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS    STATES/PROV

      160      115      345          21
       80      499     1497          43
       40      415     1245          40
       20      995     2985          53
       15      924     2772          53
       10       84      252          19
     -----------------------------------

     Totals   3032     9096         229  =   2,082,984

Conditions were reasonable for the weekend. 10m opened for a while,
but only just. 15m was good and 80m was also good for us.... We need
more firepower on 40!
We were happy finnishing the contest with a 800 more qso's this year,
but we managed to swop scores with one of our rivals - Wont be our
year this time either!!! Maybe SSB ??

Rumour Score - HG1S

160m      56q       14s
80m      379q       39s
40m     1086q       55s
20m      962q       59s
15m      610q       51s
10m       20q       11s

Total   3113q      229s

Anyone know of other European scores??
CU in the SSB test -  John

-------------------------
John Barry EI7DNB
jbarry@curia.ucc.ie

From: bill@tenet.edu (Bill Parry) (Bill Parry)
Subject: Contest Reports

Thanks to those who have posted their continental and hourly breakdowns with
their DX contest scores. This info is very enlightening about length and
strength of openings.

                                                Bill, W5VX

From: Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@almaden.ibm.com (Dick Dievendorff)
Subject: V44 with "B" power

Re: KM9P's query about the V44 who wasn't sending a complete exchange:

I worked the V44 and received a power of "B" from him.  (he sent 599 BK).  I
wasn't sure how to translate "B" into a power number.  I listened a bit longer
while he worked a few more stations, and he sent them all the same "B" power.

After four or five more QSOs I sent "PWR?" and heard him send "1000".  So I
logged the QSO. I got the complete exchange so I get the QSO.

I also think I could have logged "B" and should have gotten credit for the Q
(but I wasn't sure enough to tune away from him before I got a power that I
recognized).

I also received "powers" of "NN", "AAA", "K", and "KW".  I wrote down "99"
"111" "K" and "KW" and expect to get credit for every one of those QSOs.

Dick Dievendorff, AA6MC     dieven@almaden.ibm.com