Score Corrections

Subject: Score Corrections
From: wb2k@ritz.mordor.com (John A. Ross, IV)
Date: Sat Apr 15 09:51:27 1995
>Seems to me Dave, WX3N's idea was a good one about earlier
>publishing of claimed scores, etc.
>
>I have also wondered about a volunteer group of ACTIVE
>contesters who get to view the write-up/results BEFORE
>they are cast in concrete, to look for obvious mistakes
>(like lost guest ops, missing scores, etc.). Doubt they'll catch
>all the errors, but they are bound to catch most of the "biggies".
>
>73
>Jeff  KR0Y

Case and point: 1994 IARU results
After having a first place score turned into a last place published effort,
(they dropped a very significant 0 _and_ listed me in the wrong category)
I was quite...ahem...perturbed (gentlemanly for _really_ pissed).
In addition, I was a guest op at K3ANS, and indicated such on the summary
sheet and .SUM file. This too was omitted. Believe it or not all of the
above items were even highlighted in flourescent pink on my summary sheet.
I figured it's make it easier for someone to read the "vital" details.
The only thing they got right was my section.

Included in that same article is a correction from the prior year's
contest. The ARRL dropped a _very_ significant "1" from an HA multi score.
Unfortunatelty for them that "1" was 1 MILLION points. A world class score
flushed down the toilet.

This is not CQ. They are volunteers, and I commend their efforts. This is
the ARRL. These folks are paid. I think there is a reasonable expectation
for a higher level of accuracy and professionalism.

Is there no reason why "claimed scores" can't be released for ARRL
contests? They are obviously on the net. There is obviously sufficient lead
time to spot major guffaws since the results must be available for the
person to do the commentary (perhaps Randy can comment on this).
Would it take an awful lot of time and effort to post them? I kind of doubt
it since they must already be in electronic form prior to publication. A
quick upload.

Am I proposing something too far-fetched? You tell me.

Comments from the ARRL Contest Branch and/or CAC reps would be very
enlightening.

73, John - WB2K

John A. Ross, IV  - WB2K / VE2TJA [Zone 2]  (wb2k@ritz.mordor.com)
Summit, New Jersey