TRIBANDER STACKING - MORE FUN THAN "QRL ?" !

Subject: TRIBANDER STACKING - MORE FUN THAN "QRL ?" !
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 12:38:54 1995
Hi Ron...
I am facing the same dilemma myself for stacking a 150' tower.....And I have
to make a decision in the next few weeks...I am also agonizing between the
C3/4 and KT34XA...

First, I think that radiation efficiency is a subject which has been
overlooked in beams/yagis... I suspect the radiation efficiency of the small,
untrapped C3 overcomes the enhanced 'gain' of the TH7...
The KT34 is a more efficient trapped beam, and therefore better, than the
 TH7...
The C3 has a broader main beamwidth (less gain) than the KT34XA... A stack of
either will do you just fine... Now, the devil is in the details, as they
say...
A)  In contests where the desired sigs may come from many headings in a
general direction, you probably will do best with a stack of C3's... Due to
the nice fat pattern.... Gain is of secondary importance, i.e. you need just
enough gain to be able to hear the desired signals, but ANY increase in gain
beyond that merely results in a narrowing of the main lobe (undesireable)...
Also, a lower FB ratio may be helpful to snag that occasional multiplier off
the back side...
(FB ratio will be low in any stack, however, so that we need not concern
ourselves with this item...It will be what it will be...)
B)  In contests where the desired signals are from a definite direction, such
as where you are working just U.S. stations, or just Zed El's, etc. then more
gain in the stack, i.e. a narrower main lobe is highly desireable...  Here a
stack of longer, higher gain antennas is called for... For this the KT34XA
will be preferred over the C3...
C)  For working general DX, i.e. non contest situations, a stack of 6 element
monobanders is exactly what you need...
D)  In all of these scenarios, the TH7 is an also ran....

And, that's my opinion....

Rational discussion entertained  ( I do a mean soft shoe )
Flames go to the curb with the kitty litter.....

Denny   K8DO@AOL.COM