TRIBANDER STACKING - MORE FUN THAN "QRL ?" !

Subject: TRIBANDER STACKING - MORE FUN THAN "QRL ?" !
From: ron@gw3ydx.demon.co.uk (Ron Stone)
Date: Mon Jul 31 00:02:12 1995
In your message dated Saturday 29, July 1995 you wrote :
> Hi Ron...
> I am facing the same dilemma myself for stacking a 150'
tower.....And I have
> to make a decision in the next few weeks...I am also agonizing
between the
> C3/4 and KT34XA...
>
> First, I think that radiation efficiency is a subject which has been
> overlooked in beams/yagis... I suspect the radiation efficiency of
the small,
> untrapped C3 overcomes the enhanced 'gain' of the TH7...
> The KT34 is a more efficient trapped beam, and therefore better,
than the
>  TH7...
> The C3 has a broader main beamwidth (less gain) than the KT34XA... A
stack of
> either will do you just fine... Now, the devil is in the details, as
they
> say...
> A)  In contests where the desired sigs may come from many headings
in a
> general direction, you probably will do best with a stack of C3's...
Due to
> the nice fat pattern.... Gain is of secondary importance, i.e. you
need just
> enough gain to be able to hear the desired signals, but ANY increase
in gain
> beyond that merely results in a narrowing of the main lobe
(undesireable)...
> Also, a lower FB ratio may be helpful to snag that occasional
multiplier off
> the back side...
> (FB ratio will be low in any stack, however, so that we need not
concern
> ourselves with this item...It will be what it will be...)
> B)  In contests where the desired signals are from a definite
direction, such
> as where you are working just U.S. stations, or just Zed El's, etc.
then more
> gain in the stack, i.e. a narrower main lobe is highly desireable...
 Here a
> stack of longer, higher gain antennas is called for... For this the
KT34XA

-----
| Ron Stone, GW3YDX -    EMail ron@gw3ydx.demon.co.uk

-----
Well Denny

You will just have to get urself another 150 ft tower. One for the
C3 stack and the other for the KT34XA stack. If only it was as easy as
that !!

I'm still undecided. Dave W6QHS put some mail on the reflector which
is pretty interesting. One of the things that has put me off the 34XA
of late is the prob I have with 15 m SWR. What about if I put another
one together and get entirely different curves. Kinda shoots impedance
matching in the foot from the start.

A couple of guys (including W6QHS) have suggested log periodics. Well
I think poor F/B is an advantage during contests but not when the East
EU is 20 dB over S9 and you're trying to copy a weak KH2 !

The TH6/7 comes out a hot favourite with many people. However that was
before the advent of the C-3. I've heard the results of N7ML' stack of
seven (that was the latest count) C-3s on his rotating tower. Sounds
loud on 20 but havent heard it on the other bands and unlikely to for
a few years.

Dont forget the C3XL - but it is a monster with 3 feedlines.

I may just go for 204BA's to keep it simple. The way 10/15 been of
late it won't be a mistake (for this year !!)

73
Ron