Quik-disconnect connectors for avoiding ZAPPED

Subject: Quik-disconnect connectors for avoiding ZAPPED
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (n0dh@comtch.iea.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 19:16:09 1995
<---- Begin Included Message ---->

What type of quik-disconnect connectors would you recommend for rotor
cables, beverage control cables, etc?  It would be nice to have a few
connectors with lots of pins, rather than a lot of small connectors to
deal with (or so I think!)  As always, price and current availability
is of concern for the low-budget CONTEST station builder.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9
00TLZIVNEY@BSUVC.BSU.EDU

<---- End Included Message ---->

Terry (and all)

I use automobile/boat trailer connectors for all control cables (at booth
ends). They are designed to withstand the weather,and generally can handle
several "amps" of current if need be. They come in 4 and 6 pin varities and
can be found at most auto or boat supply places for a few bucks. I put them on
the shack end for ease of disconnect during storms and at the tower end for
ease of service and installation of the rotator. Actually have been thinking
about putting a third set just at the base of the tower for several reasons,
would make trouble shooting easier (just carry the control box to the base of
the tower and plug in) and it would be a better lightning deterrent to be able
to disconnect everything at the base of the tower instead of in the shack. Why
invite the stuff in the house at all ~8>)

By the way I notice that sevral folks who got hit said their home owners
insurance coverd them. A friend of mine's (K3ARV in Florida)insurance company
refused to cover him anymore for lightning damage after the third hit in 5
years. His 120' ran right next to the house. The third time he took a hit it
blew (6")holes in the walls and much of the house had to be rewired.

Dave
N0DH/7

dit dit

"Paranoia pays.....but the hours are hell"