Force 12 EF-420 (4 El 20 Mtr Monobander)

Subject: Force 12 EF-420 (4 El 20 Mtr Monobander)
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 12:25:02 1995
Hi Ken...
I have a REAL problem with your reported results....

If your assumption that the Force 12 is 4 S-units better is correct, then
allowing even a measly 3dB per S unit, means that your high antenna has a
-12dB gain compared to the F12... I don't think so! ...
(If your receiver is near the ideal of 6dB per S unit, then the difference is
24dB !!!!!!)
 In other words, the F12 yagi has 12 (to 24) dB gain over another yagi on 20
meters... (Be still my beating heart.)
Now, assuming your old antenna has 6dBd of gain and assuming  a 12dB
difference (3dB/S-unit) _at the same height_ means 18dBd of gain, total...I
am certainly interested in taking a drive along the boom of an 18 dBd gain
antenna for 20 meters.....(If we assume the higher figure we get a 30dBd gain
antenna, and we will need an airplane to cover that boom in one day...)

It is apparent from the information you presented, that the height
differential between the two antennas means that the peak response(s) of the
lower beam falls at, or near, the null(s) of the higher beam....This,
predictable, result is the reason for stacked arrays, where the peak
different height... Lets see how the two antennas play on an 8000 mile
path...

I have admiration for Force 12... They understand the concepts of radiation
efficiency and minimizing (I^2R) losses... If you read my comments on this
subject of a few months ago you will see that I proposed that a fresh stack
of C3's, with fresh coax and newly soldered fittings, just may outplay an
older stack of bigger tribanders, with loading coils (lossy),  weathered
coax, and fuzzy connectors... But, no where in those comments would I credit
a 12dB difference....

Nice try, but no banana...

Cheers ... Denny