Contest Free Zones

Subject: Contest Free Zones
From: tigger@prairienet.org (Sean E. Kutzko)
Date: Fri Sep 29 13:18:21 1995

Barry, W2UP wrote:

 Ergo, a contest free zone would be a
>bad precedent, which could induce further attempts to squeeze us into
>smaller spaces.

I'm not really sure what else we can do (within reason) to appease
non-contesters. There are already three bands that are void of contest
activity, and the ARRL 10-meter Contest (I think) has already set up a
50-KC wide segment that is contest-free.

I think opening a dialogue is a good idea, but if you consider:

1) How much space there is in the HF spectrum that is already contest-free,

2) Contesters occupy the bands 2/7 of the time on weeks there is an event,

3) The majority of events are published in every major ham magazine,
   "warning" non-contesters of our events, and

4) With a couple of exceptions, our events are geared towards one mode of
   operation,

I think there is little we can compromise on.

Certainly, this is a bigger issue in the phone portion of the band than
the CW section. I'm not a RTTY operator, so I have no idea what goes on
there.

Sean

--
Sean Kutzko                                          Amateur Radio: KF9PL
Urbana, IL                                           DXCC:304 worked/300 cfmd

                     "All Good Things In All Good Time."