Rumor/flame control: QST

Subject: Rumor/flame control: QST
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (frenaye@pcnet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 20:28:53 1995
With the debate hot and heavy (except for the cool wisdom from N6TR) maybe
this will help to fill you in.  Since the change was made in October QST
which most of you should have had for a month now (my November copy arrived
this week) and no one noticed, isn't this really a dead issue?

73 Tom

Hi (deleted):

I'm sorry to learn that you're so strongly opposed to the way we are now
presenting announcements for ARRL-sponsored contests in QST (starting with
the October 1995 issue).

The motivation for this change is simple: We want to encourage as many
people as possible to try contesting, especially newer hams.

Take a few minutes to read the Sweepstakes announcement in October QST or
the 10-Meter Contest and 160-Meter Contest announcements in November. It's
our opinion that the new format is easier to understand and a heck of a lot
more readable and inviting than the "official rules" format previously used.
The new format includes all the information that someone needs to know to
get on the air and operate the contest: Dates and times, bands and modes;
who you can work and what to send; entry categories; point and multiplier
structure; scoring instructions; log deadline and entry information; and
available awards. We've also included some new features, like the box
highlighting What's New for those already familiar with the contest.

The old format contained a lot of detail not of interest or use to the vast
majority of entrants -- the casual contesters who make anywhere from a few
to a few hundred QSOs, yet "keep the rate up" for the serious guys. The
serious guys, who might really need to know some of the more arcane points,
usually are already familiar with the rules and don't read them anyway,
except to find out What's New.

If you absolutely, positively must have the full and complete dry and boring
rules, they're readily available electronically from the ARRL BBS; from the
ARRL's ftp site maintained by the Boston ARC (also available through the
League's Web page); and by e-mail from the League's infoserver.

If you want the full rules by US mail, they'll be included in the new ARRL
Contest Yearbook, which is a comprehensive booklet with "official rules" and
summary and log sheets for all League contests; dupe sheets with
instructions;  the Field Day package; some contest records and other
pertinent information. This booklet will be available shortly for a nominal
fee to offset printing and postage. We'll be updating it annually, at the
start of each contest season. (This same information is (or will be in the
case of the new pieces) available electronically, for free, at the sites
mentioned above.)

Although we will no doubt make some refinements as we gain experience, we
intend to give the new format at least a year's trial.

Please remember that QST is a general-interest membership magazine serving
more than  180,000 readers--readers with an incredible variety of interests
and experience levels.  Like it or not, QST cannot possibly carry enough
information on any one special interest to completely satisfy the wants and
needs of those seriously interested in that particular area. That's why
there are so many newsletters and magazines, Internet reflectors, Web pages,
conferences, clubs and organizations each devoted to serving a few hundred
or few thousand hams with particular special interests.

As for more e-mail addresses in QST,  we are rearranging the front of the
magazine to make room. In the meantime, the full list is available from the
sources noted above, and the Web page has a "mail-to" function if your
browser supports it. Our system is pretty easy to remember, though:
callsign@arrl.org or first initial-last name@arrl.org. For example, I'm
aa2z@arrl.org or mwilson@arrl.org. Billy Lunt is kr1r@arrl.org or
blunt@arrl.org.

Thanks for your continued interest in the League, QST and our contest
program.

73,
Mark Wilson, AA2Z
QST Editor

E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093
Phone: 203-668-5444