KD7P E-mail?

Subject: KD7P E-mail?
From: py2ny@SP-gw.ampr.org (py2ny@SP-gw.ampr.org)
Date: Wed Nov 15 17:24:52 1995
Hello friends..
Does anybody have E-mail address for KD7P Bob Winters?
Thanks for help -  PY2NY - - Vitor

From: kp4xs@ix.netcom.com (Kenneth Ramirez ) (Kenneth Ramirez )
Subject: NCJ RTTY ARTICLE

You wrote:

>As to Ken's comments regarding W3LPL as the "Biggest and baddest
contest
>station in the World"  May I remind him and everyone else that W3LPL
Placed
>second to N2RM in the CQWW SSB Contest
>
>I guess being the Biggest and Baddest isn't as good as being the Best!

  First Mikey I am pretty sure what I said was ONE of the biggest and
baddest M/M stations in the world.
 Second, Let me remind YOU that N2RM placed SECOND behind W3LPL in all
FOUR (4) I repeat,F-O-U-R contests last year! How quickly we forget.
     Does FRC stand for FULLOVIT Radio Club? 73 Kenny
 Opinions expressed by me may or may not be the same opinions wanting
to be expressed by M/M W3LPL or The PVRC.

From: slay@netcom.com (WA6BXH/7J1ABV) (WA6BXH/7J1ABV)
Subject: JA QSL Return Rates

 Somebody else wrote:
>> Please don't do this to the JAs. QSLing is part of the "courtesy" that
>> is very important to their culture.

>          Horsefeathers!!

I agree with this part.  ;-)

>          Some extracts are:
>
>          Country             Cards          Cards          percent
>                              Sent           Rcvd           Rcvd
>          Japan               162            56             34.6%*******

>          Japan is abysmal, comparing with the Eastern European countries and
>          worse than most of the Russian republics.
>
>          If any body else has a similar analysis from a different part
>          of the world I'd be very interested to see it.
>
>          73, Lyn G4KBX

>From my limited experience (>10 yrs) living, working, and operating in Japan
I cannot disagree outright with the response.  I don't doubt the QSL return
rate of something like 35% that you have experienced.  However, let's
remember a few things:

   1)  Japan has >1 million (lifetime) operator licenses, issued.
   2)  Japan has >500,000 (5 year) station licenses issued.
          Note: obviously, not everybody has a station license.
   3)  >90% of all JA licensees are limited to 10 watts, no CW and no 20m/warc.
   4)  The JARL incoming/outgoing QSL bureau is paid for; and used EXCLUSIVELY
       by "members" of the JARL ... of which there are something like 150,000.
         Note: I don't remember exactly, but I think yearly JARL dues are about
               the equivalent of US$ 50 per year.

Bottom line:   Only about 1/3 (or approx. 35%) of all those JA ops with
their own station licenses can use the incoming/outgoing JARL QSL buro ...
AND .... if
they are NOT members of JARL they are not going to see the QSLs that you
try to send to them via the Buro.  Those cards, I believe, are simply
dumped in the trash.  There are NO alternative QSL buros that they can use.

 Listings in the international Callbook clearly are not updated with anyf
requency from Japan (translating Japanese address into English is a bit
time-consuming ... especically with 500K - 1M addresses, eh?)

So .... your return rate of less than 35% is not entirely unreasonable.

73, Sandy WA6BXH/7J1ABV
slay@netcom.com

From: Kenneth Poulsen (OZ1BIZ)" <poulsen@inet.uni-c.dk (Kenneth Poulsen
(OZ1BIZ))
Subject: too much mail in cq-contest@tgv.com

 > OH2KI, Jorma writes:

>Dear mail enthusiasts: Trey might give his comment for
>"what was and is cq-contest-reflector for" - recommendation:

> From time to time I subscribe and very soon I unsubscribe, reason
>  being that my interest is CQWW Contest topics, not much how good
> a transceiver is or who knows what.

Or which cooling is needed on my amp...
Or the results of SS or other non-CQ contest's...
Or what age the average contester happens to be...

How come that a CQ-CONTEST reflector carries all that stuff that IMHO are
better placed in the various newsgroups ?

>  But in upcoming CQWW CW there is ZB2X for you, friends!
>  Good luck to everybody.

      Tnx, Jorma - looking forward to work you - and all you other guys !

73, de OZ1BIZ, Ken  - member of the >OZ5WQ< contest-team
                       (QRV as MM in the CQWW-CW 1995)

From: Pete Smith <n4zr@ix.netcom.com> (Pete Smith)
Subject: LPL vs RM

Can we please terminate this thread?  I'm a PVRC member, but enough is ....
73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@ix.netcom.com

From: Joel Weiner" <Joel.Weiner@UAlberta.CA (Joel Weiner)
Subject: CQWW SSB from GB6AR

Here is the breakdown of the score from GB6AR in Wales

      Call: GB6AR                    Country:  Wales
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      160      155      183     1.18      6      46
       80      329      462     1.40     12      59
       40      114      203     1.78     17      68
       20      739     1590     2.15     32     103
       15      810     2051     2.53     30     103
       10      108      151     1.40     13      36

     Totals   2255     4640     2.06    110     415  =>  2,436,000

We operated from GW4VAG QTH using FT990/ FL2100 & TS850/TL922 antennas ATB
34, R7 vertical, dipole on 80 and loop on 160. Conditions were excellent and
the QTH is suberb - 550 feet up and surrounded by water on three sides on the
LLeyn Peninsula.

73 Joel VE6WQ

From: Pete Smith <n4zr@ix.netcom.com> (Pete Smith)

At 07:38 PM 11/16/95 +-100, you wrote:

> > OH2KI, Jorma writes:
>
>>Dear mail enthusiasts: Trey might give his comment for
>>"what was and is cq-contest-reflector for" - recommendation:
>
>> From time to time I subscribe and very soon I unsubscribe, reason
>>  being that my interest is CQWW Contest topics, not much how good
>> a transceiver is or who knows what.
>
>Or which cooling is needed on my amp...
>Or the results of SS or other non-CQ contest's...
>Or what age the average contester happens to be...
>
>How come that a CQ-CONTEST reflector carries all that stuff that IMHO are
better placed in the various newsgroups ?

>>  But in upcoming CQWW CW there is ZB2X for you, friends!
>>  Good luck to everybody.
>
>      Tnx, Jorma - looking forward to work you - and all you other guys !
>
>73, de OZ1BIZ, Ken  - member of the >OZ5WQ< contest-team
>                       (QRV as MM in the CQWW-CW 1995)

I sympathize with Ken and Jorma about the domestically-oriented (U.S.)
traffic that sometimes seems to dominate the reflector - obviously it's of
little interest to them.

But I strongly disagree about traffic on contest-related technical topics.
In my experience, the USENET newsgroups do not offer anything like the
quality of technical advice or contest-orientation that is found here.  The
latter is particularly important - we contesters demand a lot better from
our stations than most anyone else.  As for the sociological/political side
- how to attract more young contesters, how to ensure that contesting
continues to get its share of attention in our magazines and our national
societies - I'd think those topics would be of broad interest, not just in
the U.S. but worldwide.  I have a hunch that we in the U.S. could learn a
lot from others on these topics, and we sure could use the new ideas!

I believe that there are mail programs out there that can be programmed to
filter out (even to discard) mail that has certain phrases on the subject
line, or comes from certain addresses.  Maybe that's the real bottom-line
solution to this concern.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@ix.netcom.com