AA5B 160 meter contest results

Subject: AA5B 160 meter contest results
From: AA5BANANA@aol.com (AA5BANANA@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 3 13:53:26 1995
The kids groaned when I told 'em I was going to
do the third contest in the last 5 weekends, but
the thought of getting to play with the big red
helium balloon softened them up a little.  Set-up
was almost field day style late on Saturday afternoon.

Transmit antenna: quarter-wave wire vertical, elevated feed (up
     25 feet on army tripod), 4 radials, 6-ft He balloon.

Receive antennas: two 500-ft wires on the ground, NE and NW.
     To call these 'Beverages' would be stretching the truth.
     No matching transformer, no termination, no attempt to
     keep them straight or level ... just draped them on top
     of the tumbleweeds.

The antennas seemed to work pretty well.  Highlights:

   * Worked All States in a little over 4 hours.
   * 122 Qs in first hour.
   * 30 JAs on Sunday morning.

Altogether, operated 7.5 hrs (6 on Sat nite, 1.5 on Sunday morn).
585 Qs, 74 sections, only 4 countries.  Score abt 97k.

Low points:

    *Hearing Q5 Europeans calling "CQ WEST ONLY" over and over, but
     getting answered by EPA, OH, VA, MD, GA, etc every time. At least
     the W1s and W2s had enough sense not to call, too.

    *In the middle of a short S&P episode, getting told by a couple
     of K8s that I was a dupe. There was nothing in my log even
     remotely resembling their calls, but they absolutely refused to
     work me, no matter how many times I asked. Interesting strategy.

Happy Holidays!

     -Bruce AA5B
       New Mexico