CAC Address?/160 DX window

Subject: CAC Address?/160 DX window
From: albraun@socketis.net (albraun@socketis.net)
Date: Tue Dec 5 05:32:01 1995
frenaye@pcnet.com wrote:

>I just can't believe all of the radio policeman that have
>come out of the woodwork.  Must be the wintertime blues.

>So there's a change to the 160m window in the ARRL contest.
>From what I hear there was an army of policeman there ready
>to harass every one of them

(snip)

>Isn't it appropriate to back off just a little?  The rule
>(is it a hard and fast rule?) is new.

(snip)

>I'm not so sure the window is even enforceable (I used
>to check logs at ARRL, I'd find it very hard to do).  Even
>so, let's give it a chance to work out.  Some gentle works
>or persuasion work a lot better than blasts by e-mail.

Tom - some things to agree with and some things to dispute
here.  First off, not everyone who thinks the rules ought to
be enforced was out QRMing the offenders.  I was more interested
in making QSOs of my own...I just tuned through the window,
worked what DX I could hear, ignored the W stations calling CQ
in the window, made some notes and moved on to look for a new
run frequency above the window.

I agree that public blasts at specific people in a forum such
as this are not appropriate.  I for one will certainly NOT be

sending flame messages to the offenders nor will I post their
call signs here.

I'm surprised, however, that you, as a former CAC member,
would say that the DX window rule is new!  The only thing that
is different is the size (smaller).  When I read your note I
grabbed for the oldest November QST I could find without moving

things in the closet, and came up with November 1991.  Rule 6A
on page 80 says that "the segment 1.830 to 1.850 MHz should be
used for intercontinental QSOs only, in conformance with the
ARRL band plan."  This year, the window size was shrunken from
20 kHz to 5 kHz, but the concept has been with the contest as
long as I've been doing it (1986 or so).  To my knowledge it
has never been enforced.  Granted, it isn't easy to do, but if
a sufficient number of documented complaints about a specific
station are received and they all match up, then I think it
behooves the contest committee to either enforce the rule or
abolish it.  If the rules can't be enforced, why make them?

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *