The Contest Computer by Agent 6 and 7/8

Subject: The Contest Computer by Agent 6 and 7/8
From: W3MM@aol.com (W3MM@aol.com)
Date: Mon Dec 4 23:39:49 1995
Well I made a major blunder and also a major omission in the discussion
on the hard drive and the system bios. I will first correct the blunder.

Jim, AD1C, pointed out my error in a message to me today. This caused me
to go into research mode, make a phone call, and reverse my brain 3 months
to find an article that I had previously read.

I said "Do not run drivers to fool the bios so that you can use a big drive.
Reason: TSR is running all the time."  Jim wrote that this is a driver not
a TSR. He is 100% correct. What these drivers do is provide an overlay
for the BIOS, which in turn allows the entire hard drive to be fully
utilized.
The down side? It takes up 6K of memory. OK!  What this means is that
this method is a viable solution to the big drive on the contest computer.

Thank you Jim for the info and the kick in the butt. Everyone needs a kick
in the slats from time to time.

Now I will take care of the major omission. The reason that I omitted the
following is that I have never done it and don't know anyone who has done
what is about to be forwarded to you.

I received a nice message from Phil, NA4M, in which he described how
he rectified the problem. I will sort of restate what he sent to me:
"Purchase a drive controller card that has add-on BIOS and LBA support.
These neatly allow use of big hard drives without running drivers such as
"On-Track" (BIOS overlay scheme) or changing the mother board bios.
 The additional BIOS on the card used in conjunction with it's LBA
(Logical Block Addressing) mode allow the system to utilize the big hard
drives. The controller card I use is a "Promise 2300 Plus"."

Now we have 3 options! I will list them in order of preference based on the
additional research that I did today.

1. Upgrade the BIOS or upgrade the motherboard.
2. Purchase a new drive controller card
3. Use the BIOS overlay scheme

My thanks to Jim and Phil for their most usefull input. I now feel that we
we have flogged the subjects to death.

  VY 73 de Dave, W3MM     w3mm@aol.com