The Contest Computer by Agent 6 and 7/8

Subject: The Contest Computer by Agent 6 and 7/8
From: na2n@ifam.com (na2n@ifam.com)
Date: Tue Dec 5 09:07:33 1995
>I said "Do not run drivers to fool the bios so that you can use a big drive.
>Reason: TSR is running all the time."  Jim wrote that this is a driver not
>a TSR. He is 100% correct. What these drivers do is provide an overlay
>for the BIOS, which in turn allows the entire hard drive to be fully
>utilized.
>The down side? It takes up 6K of memory. OK!  What this means is that
>this method is a viable solution to the big drive on the contest computer.

Yup. Saved me the trouble.

>1. Upgrade the BIOS or upgrade the motherboard.
>2. Purchase a new drive controller card
>3. Use the BIOS overlay scheme

I disagree with your ordering of the options, UNLESS price is no object. Given
the fact that most HDs over 540 meg COME with the BIOS overlay driver (at least
the ones from Western Digital), which means almost equivalent (for our
purposes) performance for NO additional outlay, it would seem that this would
be the MOST preferable option for 95% of the contesting population who are on
limited hobby budgets. A new driver card is not an option in my 486DX2/66,
since all 5 slots are filled (DVP, modem, Soundblaster, Multi-I/O, voicemail
card) - note that this does NOT include a HD/floppy controller or video card,
which are on the motherboard.

Another perspective, I guess. Overall, an informative piece. Thanks.

73,

Greg Becker NA2N
na2n@ifam.com
Ideas For American Manufacturers
"Technology Conceptualization and Market Development"