Attracting new blood

Subject: Attracting new blood
From: jbl@levin.MV.COM (Joel B Levin)
Date: Sat Dec 9 09:18:50 1995
On Fri, 8 Dec 1995 18:54:18 -0500 KD8O wrote:

|The flip side of this, is that it cost me hundreds of q's to let them
|operate... their rate capability, at this stage, is low... BUT... the only
|way to improve that is to show them how for an hour, then let them operate
|<being available, but only if asked> to gain experience and skills... at the
|cost of low rates and scores....There is also a strong undercurrent of self
|selection here...   In volunteering my station I have marked myself as an
|also ran....  The usual top five station is not going to accept slipping down
|for any reason, and the usual second tier station is too busy trying to move
|up to accept a handicap.... so, who is left?...

I'm not in your situation so perhaps it is presumptuous of me to speak, but
if more of the better stations gave up top tier once in a while no one would
have to do it a lot.  Everyone probably has a least favorite of the big
contests that one could use in this way.  Anyhow, that's one thought.

But here's another.  Do just what you have said above, only pick a "lesser"
contest, e.g. another country's big dx contest, a state qso party, even a
10-10 qso party? and work that with one or two new contesters.  The NH QSO
Party a couple years ago proved pretty good for this when one of our local
contesters ran our radio club's station from his location.

And one more, and this probably has the most potential; do what Warren
WB1HBB did in preparation for the 1994 field day.  To try to get more local
people used to contest type activity, he started a local 10 meter sprint
between members of two area clubs (this grew to about four clubs before it
was over).  This turned into a monthly event.  It took one hour on the last
Wednesday evening of each month, was scored on the honor system with
checkins before and after on a local repeater, and was a lot of fun.  The
best people could work just about everybody in the time allowed (there was a
twenty minute window during which CW could be used in the lower part of the
contest subband), code speed was limited to 10 wpm or so on pain of having
all CW q's disqualified, so as not to discourage all the Novice/Tech people
from trying it, and the scoring scheme was tuned each month to make it more
fair or more interesting.  This is a perfect opportunity for an experienced
operator with a nice station to invite in a couple people to come in and try
it out as well.  This monthly sprint was so popular it continued well past
field day and only ran out of steam after about its 14th running.  A little
work to publicize a contest like this locally and some solid support from
active contesters, and you have something that can provide an easy way for
HF newcomers to test the waters.

Oops, I got to rambling.

        /JBL   KD1ON
--