What's wrong with the SSB sprint

Subject: What's wrong with the SSB sprint
From: Paul Knupke (CS)" <knupke@babbage.csee.usf.edu (Paul Knupke (CS))
On Sun, 4 Feb 1996, Tyler Stewart wrote:

> I took part in my first ever NCJ sprint contest last night which happened to
> be on SSB.

This was my second and it really did suck being in Florida.  20 meters
was open for about 90 minutes and I was able to work everyone I heard.

I moved to 40 meters and made 12 Q's which I fought for.  I greatly
appriciate everyone taking the time to get my exchange from me.  I was
barefoot.

I then tried 80.  I couldn't make a Q.  N5RP heard me but could not pull
my exchange out.

> You've got a bunch of agressive contesters jumping on a whole range of
> freqs from 3815 to 3875 causing havok with the good-ol' boys...and this is one
> contest where you dont stand a chance if you take the time to ask if it's in
> use.

Yep.

> Sorry.  I think it's a nice, challenging idea for a contest, but it's
> implementation needs a hard look.  You can get away with a lot of this stuff
> on CW without too much grease, but on phone it's just out of control.

I think the hours 0000 to 0359Z very much favor the west.

I think a daytime sprint would be much better at the point of low to no
sunspots.

> on...believe me, I know why now!  I just about turned the radio off myself
> after screaming at west coast stations on 20 meters to no avail.  Granted

I was working 20 without difficulty but it was all west and northwest.
Worked nobody in 4 land on any band, but worked several VE7 folks on 20
and heard them on 40 and 75.

> conditions were exceptionally poor this time, but I'm sure it's not going to
> be that much different for the next several years.

I worked OH, PA, NJ, WV and MA on 40 only, and worked a bunch of others
who I already worked on 20.

 Paul Knupke, Jr.                  /  Pinellas County ARES Asst. EC
 knupke@babbage.csee.usf.edu      /         Pinellas County Skywarn
 Largo, FL USA                   /               Fidonet 1:3603/570
 Amateur Radio Callsign: KR4YL  /      Florida Contest Group Member