Further WA2SYN tower discussion

Subject: Further WA2SYN tower discussion
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Feb 5 16:23:35 1996
--PART.BOUNDARY.0.25008.mail04.mail.aol.com.823555409

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.25008.mail04.mail.aol.com.823555409

Subj:   WA2SYN tower questions
From:   UpTheTower
To:     cq-contest@tgv.com
=0D
Jeff --
=0D
   Tnx for your reply. First of all, Suffolk County is an 85 MPH wind rat=
ed
county (TIA-222-E); this should be your MINIMUM system criteria if you do=
n't
want it to fall down again, building permit or not.  You can see that a
typical crankup wouldn't meet that rating.  You can increase your reliabi=
lity
somewhat by getting a bigger tower and not extending it fully.  Also cran=
king
it down when it's not actually in use will give you a bigger safety margi=
n.
A 'positive pulldown system' will allow it to be lowered even in a wind.
This system is a significantly more complex and expensive replacement for=

your Aluma.
   Regarding the 4L KLM 40M antenna; forget it.  The Cushcraft works as w=
ell
and is many times more reliable.  I had a 4L KLM that needed work every
spring because of damage.  It took a big crew to get it down and up and i=
t is
a mechanically fragile antenna.  It's not worth it.  Also, my recommendat=
ion
is to put the 40M antenna at the bottom  of the stack; an additional 10 f=
eet
up the mast is only 7% of a wavelength - not enough to make any significa=
nt
angle improvements. Plus it's much easier to remove for maintenance and
re-install especially since it will need more work over time than your
KT34XA.  =

   As far as masts go, I'll mail you a copy of the W7NI article on mast
selection.
   Regarding your insurance claim, did you also include labor to remove a=
nd
re-install the system at commercial rates?  Did you include labor to asse=
mble
the antennas?  Both of these should be included in your claim.  The insur=
ance
company expects the repairs to be done by a commercial contractor; your c=
laim
should consider that.  My tower services company has been involved in man=
antenna/tower system claims.  Give me a call (206-485-7913) if you want m=
ore
info. =

   Have you thought about how you're going to get this new, much heavier
tower, to the spot where it will be installed?  It won't be as easy as
picking up the Aluma.  We typically have a boom truck waiting to meet the=

truck with the tower so that it can pick the tower off the truck and put =
it
on the base in one operation. =

=0D
73, Steve  K7LXC     "Up The Tower"   now appears in CQ Contest magazine

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.25008.mail04.mail.aol.com.823555409--