CONTEST STATION TVI/PHONEI SOLUTION

Subject: CONTEST STATION TVI/PHONEI SOLUTION
From: H. Ward Silver" <hwardsil@seattleu.edu (H. Ward Silver)

> It's a darned shame that operating a radio has come to this.
> We are a very small minority, but if we lobby hard, we could get
> the U.S. government to enforce the same regulations on imports
> that domestic manufacturers must comply with.
> The Commission is well aware of problems with import telephones and
> home entertainment devices being subject to rfi. Yet, no one wants
> to offend the importers.
> 200,000 letters to congress would certainly be of benefit. But we
> must act as one.
> --de Del, KL7HF--

Are you kidding?  The FCC just dropped the requirements for actually
testing computer equipment to certify that it meets the EMI requirements.
All the manufacturer has to do now is buy stickers.  Do you think that the
less reputable or cash-strapped are going to buck up and test?  Ha!  While
I believe that there are still a lot of individuals that care at the FCC,
the upper strata don't give a rat's patootie.  They are busy with opening
up the telecomm bid'niss and refereeing the HDTV dispute.  Remember, this
is the same agency that just neutered it's monitoring and enforcement arm
due to budget cuts.

W7NI reminds us that cordless phones have a little disclaimer about
interference molded right into their cases or on a sticker or in their
manual.  This needs to be pointed out in a reasonable way.  However, don't
expect the FCC to do anything about it.  I haven't seen their new RFI
manual, though.

73, Ward N0AX