Nye Viking Tuners

Subject: Nye Viking Tuners
From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Jim describes nearly the exact problem I just developed.  Have a Nye
M...V (the Roman numerial 5 of the latest design) and am trying to get it
to tune a full size half-wave 160 dipole fed with ladder line.  Tuning is
weird and unsatisfying on 160 (with balun inside), but fine on all other
bands, including WARCs.  However, it tunes just fine on 160 via the coax
output connectors (A or B) into a short (15 ft.) of RG-213 which goes to
a MFJ "Balun Box" and then to the ladder line.  I just let pass a super
clean Nye tuner of earlier design for $300 at Orlando Hamfest.  Did I goof up ?
de K4VUD