Nye Viking Tuners

Subject: Nye Viking Tuners
From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten)
On Fri, 16 Feb 1996 12:56:52 -1000, "Jim Reid"
<jreid@aloha.net> wrote:

> ordered a Viking MB-V-A  3kW tuner.
> Really think I'd like to get
> the pi-network of the Viking design,  a la the old Johnson
> Viking Matchbox design fame

I faced the same issue, and also felt that the two Johnson
Matchboxes that I own are unsurpassed in construction and
acapability.

I tried a Dentron that promised 160 meter coverage, but it
got too warm at 1500 watts on 160 CW.  So I bought a used
Nye Viking MB II.

In the end, I had to add something like 200 pf to one
position of the five position switch, in order to make the
SWR drop to 1:1.  W1FV helped me select the correct amount
of capacitance from my doorknob collection.  He pencilled a
few numbers on the back of an envelope and then said:  Do
you have any clip leads?  That's how I came to learn what a
true contester is -- a believer in clip lead engineering!
We didn't even warm up the soldering iron until the clip
lead phase was over.

I also had to add a balun, as the original unit had only
been used to tune coax lines, and I intended to put it to
use on a balanced feedline on 160.
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105