IC-775DSP Failures

Subject: IC-775DSP Failures
From: jbmitch@vt.edu (John Mitchell) (John Mitchell)
In a qso tonite on 160M, a peculiar correlation surfaced among several
owners of new 775s who had experienced failures.  The rigs would simply
refuse to transmit, almost as though the ops were trying to transmit out of
band.  The correlation was with weather conditions.  Three ops experienced
this failure during winter storms, when snow static was prevalent.  In one
case, a failed 775 was removed, a fresh 775 inserted at the same station,
and an apparently identical failure immediately occurred. This has
engendered much discussion regarding how it could be possible that static
charges at the receiver input could somehow cause this problem.  Among
theories postulated was that some sensitive component in the protective
circuitry was being affected.  Does anyone in this forum have information on
similar failures which may be correlated with these conditions?  Please
email me, and I will summarize if response is significant.

73, John
WD4MUR