MFJ Voice Keyer problem

Subject: MFJ Voice Keyer problem
From: wa3wjd@wirelessinc.com (Brian McGinness)
Date: Sun Feb 25 14:44:58 1996
> The real problem boils down to no way to key the Yaesu straight thru!   MFJ
> does not provide a schematic or theory of operation to even allow
> experimenting with the jumpers.  Guess I will have to talk to MFJ on Monday
> unless someone has a fix for this older type of Heil BM.
>
> 73, Dave K4JRB

I replied directly to Dave on this, but wanted to let every one know
that I had the same problem with a MFJ-432 voice keyer not keying a Yaesu,
and I found mine was mis-wired at the factory.

If you have one where the voice keyer will key the rig fine, but any mic
or headset plugged in the front of the voice keyer will NOT key the rig,
then the unit may be miswired. Mine had two wires reversed that impacted
the Yaesu PTT, while Kenwoods worked fine because they used a different
pin that was not mis-wired.

The color coding of the wires on the mic jack inside the front panel of the
voice keyer shoud be as follows: 1)white 2)black 3)blue 4)red 5)green
6)yellow 7)pink and 8)brown.

On mine the green and blue were reversed!

* Brian McGinness WA3WJD    *
* wa3wjd@wirelessinc.com    *
* Potomac Valley Radio Club *