160 Contests

Subject: 160 Contests
From: Steven Sample <aa9ax@iglou.com> (Steven Sample)
On Tue, 27 Feb 1996 Dave.Wilson@conner.com wrote:

> I will starty the ball rolling, here are my list of requirements for 160
> contests, please let me know what you think.....
>
> 1 Each contest to last from "local dawn to dusk" not from 'x' hours Zulu
      Hummmmm.....Naaaaah!

> 2 Points based upon radial measurement from stations QTH.
      Hummmmmm....O.K.  Good idea!

> 3 Band split into 3, .....non participants....US EAST + US West.....DX....
      Hummmmm....What about the MIDDLE?????? (Guess where I'm from?)

> 4 DX to US qsos can only be between windows ie split freq only.
      Hummmmmm...Splits are a pain.  Naaaaah!

> 5 Each organiser must appoint someone who's job is to tune the band logging
> infringements. Disqualification rewards bad operating behaviour.
      Huuummmmmm....Will these Kilocycle Kops have rank?  These kops need
    to have quasi-judicial immunity and a term of several years during
    which they can make their "band busts" without fear of reprisal or
    fear of losing their status.   O.K.

> 6 QSO must include serial number, lets reintroduce some skill into the qso
      Hummmmm...O.K. by me.  How about a six-digit serial number which
     must have at least one alphameric and one numeric operand?  Perhaps
     we could send encrypted exchanges, then send a secret decoder to the
     contest chairperson under seperate cover!

I sleep during the daylight anyway.  I don't think most of us low power
hackers can raise enough stink during midday to arouse our rate clocks.

Anyway...I can't speak for everyone.  These 160 tests are fun, but there
are pros and cons that seem to tailor themselves to each operators
private life and whims.  In my case, I have a high-angle radiator (160
meter loop at 50 feet), and am not competitive in a DX test on 160.  I am
very competitive in a domestic test on 160 however, although the guys
with better (or multiple) transmitting antennas seem to edge me out.  I
find 160 to be my favorite contest band, but for the reasons described
above-I find the ARRL 160 meter test to be much more to my liking.  I
stay out of the window because it has dense concentrations of deadly Fish
Head Gas or Anchovie Paste Acid Gas (per Doctor Baffoffnik).

No sharks here!

> Thats enough to begin with, I will await the shark attack...
>
> Thouhts, ideas, grumbles and mumbles, lets hear it all and lets DO SOMETHING!
>
> Regards to you all, without you 160 would be really boring!!
>
> Dave AA0RS / G3SZA
>    >
I agree, Dave.  And 160 (along with you participants) is NOT boring.  I
love it!

73...  Steve / AA9AX