Dr. Who? (CLASSIFIED!) !!!!!!!!!

Subject: Dr. Who? (CLASSIFIED!) !!!!!!!!!
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 22:51:54 1996

>I'll bet that the real storage site was the secret airbase called
>Area 51 revealed on last night's "60 Minutes"  They try to burn
>EVERYTHING (including toxic waste)  there!

   Well, obviously the cat's out of the bag now.

From: David L. Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Subject: Dxpeditions counting for clubs

I can only speak for the CQ WW 160 Contest and I know of no CQ WW Contest
Committee internet address.  CQ Contest run by K3EST is probably the best place.

Dxpeditions count for any club in the CQ WW 160 Meter Contests so long as
the operators are club members..but there is only the club category no
sub-breakdowns.

Valid points made pro and con so far if you have a local category.  One
Dxpedition each year might maintain one club as the winner each year.  On
the other hand, medium and large clubs could spur Dxpeditions and interest.
FRC and SEDXC always run several Dxpeditions each year for the 160 Contests
and often these are the only stations worked by W/VE stations.  I get many
logs saying thanks KP2A, VP9AD, P49I for my first 160 DX.

Dave K4JRB

From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Subject: Tape v. Tie Wraps

Jon, et al.:
Six runs of hardline and a 120 ft tower is NOT "just a hobby."  de K4VUD

From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Subject: Lightning Strike

Disconnect is the ONLY way.  de K4VUD

From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Subject: FW: Contest News Releases - DXpedition

Who is the contest Advisory Committee listening to--re:  DX
locations/members count in club scores?  Rich and influential hams,
that's who.
Stupid rule, discourages real operating skill, discourages the reason for
contests--to hone operator skills for emergency communication AND TO
LEARN TO WORK TOGETHER IN A LOCALE, not at some visitor site.
Is the Advisory Committee elected?
de K4VUD

From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Subject: WPX Contest help

I had fun in Dallas one CQ prefix test by signing K4VUD/NR5 ("nr" abbv.
for "number"?).  NR5K, I think, was also on the air.

From: Spike Lazar <slazar19@sgi.net> (Spike Lazar)
Subject: Short plagiarized story

                            Dayton 1996

John Dorr: Ladies and Gentlemen, this concludes the contest dinner and
           lets really give a big hand to the 1996 inductees to the
           contest hall of fame!

           And now we are going to have the drawing for the prizes!

           Now for the third prize:
           and the winner is ... KA9FOX

           Scott, please come up here!

           Hello John, I can't believe I won a prize after all
           these years.

           Hello, Scott!
           Yes Sir, you are the winner of the third prize!
           And the third prize is ...
           A round trip bus ticket to Chicago, Illinois
           The CQ Contest dinner would like to thank Dr. Bafoofnik,
           for donating this generous prize!

           Oh wow! What a wonderful prize! Thank you very much!
           Thank you John and thank you very much Spike, My next
           contest expedition will be to Chicago!

           Good bye Scott, and have a wonderful trip!

           And now ....
           For the second prize!
           and the winner is ....
           Oh no, I don't believe it!
           KA9FOX, again!
           Scott, please come back here!

           Hello again John, I can't believe I won again!

           Hello again Scott, your buddy N0BSH must have
           stuffed the ballot box with your name!
           You are the winner of the second prize!
           And the second prize is ....
           A fruitcake baked by Skoch!

           What?

           Yes, Scott
           You have won a fruitcake baked by Skoch

           I don't like fruitcakes, I can't stand fruitcakes,
           fruitcakes suck, what kind of lousy prize is a fruitcake!
           Boy you guys are cheap!

           But Scott!
           A fruitcake baked by Skoch himself!

           Screw Skoch!

           Oh sorry Scott, But thats the first prize!

           (Story adapted from another short story seen on the web)

            Dr. Bafoofnik

From: palooka@pyrotechnics.com (Joe Pontek, K8JP) (Joe Pontek, K8JP)

>I ahve read and reread the rules and I do not see anything about how a
>station should sign if they are out of their home call area. My call is
>N3BUO and I live in the Dallas area. Can I sign as KM5/N3BUO since this
>is a rare prefix or do have to sign N3BUO/5? Thank You for your help
>
>Dave N3BUO

You can stay N3BUO or N3BUO/5. The N# will be your prefix. I checked last
year with N8BJQ, as I live in 9 land.

73, K8Joe"Palooka"
palooka@pyrotechnics.com

From: AA1K Jon Zaimes <jon.zaimes@dol.net> (AA1K Jon Zaimes)
Subject: PQ0MM location

Hi John...I asked, and he said Catalina island...this counts same as
mainland Brazil...73/jon AA1K jon.zaimes@dol.net

From: AA1K Jon Zaimes <jon.zaimes@dol.net> (AA1K Jon Zaimes)
Subject: Beverages and horizontal orientation

At 16:07 3/18/96 -0800, Gary Nieborsky wrote:
>After reading all the glowing reviews of beverages as receiving antennas I
>need two questions answered.

Hi Gary....I envy your real estate!

>1. I can run beverages in all directions for at least 1 mile before I run
>into anything.....really ANYTHING.  To the north, northwest and west I have
>a terrain transition (slope down a hill) of 40', then flat for the next mile
>+.  How does this terrain transition affect the performance of the antenna?

A 3 or 4-wavelength beverage (1800-2400 feet on 160) gives you a low
take-off angle (15 degrees for 4 wavelengths) and fairly narrow beamwidth
(about 40 degrees for the 3 db-down points0. Longer beverages will only
slightly more narrow the beamwidth and only slightly lower peak wave angles.

At times 3-4 wavelengths will be too long because propagation is favoring
high-angles. WB3GCG developed a relay system to break up an 1800-ft beverage
into shorter lenghts of 600 and 1200 ft

As the terrain changes, keep the beverage height constant above ground. That
is, if you've chosen a height of 10 feet above ground, and the terrain dips
into a ravine, take the wire down into the ravine -- at 10 feet above the
ground level.

>2. If my receive noise is very low (like S3 is really a bad night) should I
>go to the trouble of stringing up an elaborate system?

yes -- it would take a 4-square or 6-square vertical array to come close to
the performance of a beverage -- and even then those would only be
bettersome of the time.
73/Jon AA1K jon.zaimes@dol.net>Reply direct to save others bank accounts.

From: Takao KUMAGAI <je1cka@dumpty.nal.go.jp> (Takao KUMAGAI)
Subject: RUFZ Top List

=== International RUFZ - Top List === (last revised Mar, 20th 1996)
total entries: 110                     including Scores by JE1CKA/INTERNET

  Points  Call highest CW-PARIS-Speed (* - new, I - Initialspeed)
                (at Score, (at any other attempt) )
  62098  HA3NU 520
  60925  HA3OV 520 (567)
  55353  DF4PA 520
* 49751  S51AY 446 (520)
  48907   N8RR 480
  47532   W2UP 446
  45957   II2K 446       ( op I2GXS jr, not licensed yet!)
  42759 DL2HBX 416
  40582  S57AD 390 (446)
  40384  OH7JR 416
  39510 DL8WAA 416
  37463  DF1LX 390
  36807 KC5NWX 367       (=KR0Y)
* 36691  OH7JT 390
  35409 DL1EFD 390
* 35366 DL9GOA 367
  35317  RA9AA 390 (416)
  34493  HA1AG 390
  33930  T94EU 367
  33910 OH1MYA 367
  32973 CT1BOH 367
  32695 DL3JAN 347 (367)
  32070   K1AR 367
  31943 SM0TXT 347
  31710 DL3DZZ 367
  31688   K1DG 367
  31200  DL4MM 367
  31101 JE1JKL 347
  29778   K3WW 347
  29522   K7LR 347
  28859 JH0KHR 347
  28361  HA3OU 328 (390)
  27596  KE2PF 328
  27566  G4BJM ???
  27113 OK1FUT 347
  26980   AD5Q 328
  26351 IT9VDQ 347
  26120 DL5LYM 347
  25820 KB0IHM 297
  25500 SM3JLA 328
  24977   K5ZD 312
  24855  T94TU 347
  24785 SM3OJR 328
  24713 DL8LAQ 312
  24267 JH0NZN 312
  23915   N3RS 312
  23813 RA9ATW 312
  23386   KI3L 312
  23021  T94NF 312
  22840 IT9ZGY 312
  22736   ND3F 376
  22462 OK1FUT 312
  22385 IT9XUC 367
  22255   K4XU 297
  22049   KU4J 297
  21948   KR2Q 284
  21654  ZS6EZ 297
  21281  KJ4VH 284
  21133 JA0FVU 284
  20796  F5NLY 297
  20744 JE1SPY 312
  20576  5B4WN 297
  20571   AD1C 297
  19870  DJ6WD 284
  19646 RA9AEW 297
  19643  DK8LV 312
  19262  G0SYP 297
  19260  T94NE 297
  19119 SP7NJX 284
  19076   K1IU 271
  19029  DL4KG 271
  18974   K3SA 284
  18217 DL8DYL 271
* 18109 DL7VOA 271
  17977  DK5JI 271
  17344 DL1ATO 297
* 16847  DK1WI 271
  16597 DL1VDL 271
  16468   K0OD 284
  15846 DL1KBB 250
* 15580 GM4AFF 250
  15318 RA9ANR 260
  15306 DL7AVE 271 (284)
  15246  T94TF 250
  14525 IK8VRI 250
  14061  DK5QN 260
  13926  UA9AR 240
  13579 KC7BNH 240
  13255 DL6RDE 240
  13040 RA9ATU 240
  13007 DL6ECA 240
  12850 DL1YAW 240
  12631 DL1DSA 260
  11632 WA1ZUH 223
  11305 DL2SDS 240
  11013  UA9AU 240
  10605   WM1K 215
  10592 T95LIG 231
  10096 HB9HFN 215
   9742 DL8DCY 223
   9097  DK5IF 208  (215)
   8526  DJ3AK 201
   8218  DL7DE 189
   8201 RA9AUC 201
   7356  DJ5KX 201
*  7043 DL4KBS 189
   6184 DL4JWU 178
   5194 IK4WMH 156
   4725 DL1ELY 138
   4441  DH4KW 168
 -------------------

Where to send the score
 1) PR: DL4MM@DB0TUD.#SAX.DEU.EU
 2) Mathias Kolpe,DL4MM, Breitscheidstr. 17, D-01237 Dresden, GERMANY
 3) Fax: +49 -351 252 63 13
 4) E-Mail to:  je1cka@nal.go.jp (JE1CKA) or KOLPE@t-online.de (DL4MM)

How to get "RUFZ" CW-callsign-practice-program/contest simulation
 1) search for RUFZ at @IBM in any PR-Mailbox or
    mail a request to DL4MM@DB0TUD.#SAX.DE.EU for personal 7PL-files
 2) INTERNET:
    ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/o/oolon/rufz.zip
    ftp://kgise.geo.tu-dresden.de/pub/hamradio/incoming
    http://www.access.digex.net/~k3sa/pvrc.html
 3) EMAIL info-server
    mailto:info-contest@dumpty.nal.go.jp
    with the command in the body;
    #get rufzpack.uue
    if you get the reply, you uudecode the body then rufzpack.exe will be
    generated. Run "rufzpack" at the DOS prompt, you'll get all RUFZ-files.
 4) free disc from DL4MM (cover handling/mailing costs only) / ask for info

How to use RUFZ for Top-List
 1) use RUFZ version 2.12 or later with DOS (not under Windows or DOS-Emulat.)
 2) use 50 Calls per attempt
 3) decide on your own initial speed
 4) use original callsign-file

New scores will be issued bi-weekly on cq-contest@tgv.com
        ---------
        Tack Kumagai JE1CKA/KH0AM
        TEL:81-30-066-6408, FAX:81-423-93-4449
        Internet: je1cka@nal.go.jp

From: Tony Brock-Fisher <fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com> (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Subject: Blown Filaments

Has anyone else in the contesting community noted that 48 hours of contesting
is hard on bulbs in the house? I'm talking the 60 watt filament types
with no grid or plate electrodes.

I replaced the bulb over the operating position right after ARRL CW.
I also noted that several other bulbs in the house seemed to go right
about the same time. Then the Monday after ARRL SSB, I go to turn on the
light over the rig again and - you guessed it - no joy.

These are 60W Sylvania's that we buy by the case at the local wholesale
club. Anybody else have the problem?

I'm sure it has to do with line voltage variations. These variations
are pretty useful, as I can tell if the op on duty is running or
S&Ping from anywhere in the house, even if the TV's off...

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com

P.S. this may seem like drivel but it beats all the other crap on here
lately...

From: SHAWN LIGHTFOOT <shawn.lightfoot@lun.lis.ab.ca> (SHAWN LIGHTFOOT
<shawn.lightfoot@lun.lis.ab.ca>)
Subject: TH6/7 vs TH11DX

Hello fellow contesters.

Lately, I've been in some pretty length discussions about the
performance of a TH11DX vs a TH6/TH7 or 4 el. 20M monobander.

OF course the TH11 has some obvious advantages (or not!), such as the
extra WARC bands, but I'm interested in 20M in particular.
According to all my antenna theory, there should be very little
difference in absolute gain. That is, very little NOTICEABLE gain. There
may be differences in the forward lobe magnitude between the two
antennas, or slightly different elevation angles vs height differences.

Unfortunately, I don't have my hands on eleveation/azimuth plots for any
of the above antennas placed above ground at any arbitrary height, such
as 1 wavelength, for arguments sake. There is, of course, a definate
difference in design between the TH11 and TH6/7, as the TH11 employs a
system of LOG CELL. This may account for some discrepency is some areas.

It all started when a friend of mine claimeda friend of HIS across the
pond has both the TH11 and a 4 el Monoband yagi. According to my firend,
the TH11DX was  consistently 3 to 5 s-units BETTER than his 4 el
Monoband yagi. I'm not one to laugh practicality and reality in the
face, but I find 20 dB difference just a little hard to swallow.

I would like to hear those of you who are fortunate enough to have the
TH11 and another yagi mounted at similar heights and locations, and a
general comparison report under both short, and long path condx.

73 de Shawn
VE6PV

**If ya don't stir the paint can, the scum will float to the top**

From: Bob Patten <n4bp@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us> (Bob Patten)
Subject: EWE Summary

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Steve Sacco KC2X wrote:

> I'd like to thank everyone for the great response I've received to my
> query about the performance of EWE antennas.
>
> To date, I've received about 15 replies, many of them quite thoughtful
> and detailed!
>
> I'll be happy to work up some kind of summary, and repost, if there's
> sufficient interest.

I, for one, would like to see a summary.  Here in noisy south Florida, I
MUST put up a better rx ant before the next CONTEST season...

From: Bob Patten <n4bp@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us> (Bob Patten)
Subject: PC Clock Problem Solved!

Thanks to all who replied to my cry for help.  My PC clock was rapidly
gaining time when operating in contests - this after replacing my
386SX-40 with a 486DX2-80 motherboard.  Following one suggestion, I
changed the CMOS battery - the one on the motherboard only measured 3.0v
while the nominal voltage is 3.3.  This had no affect on the problem.
Next, I procured an old style IBM keyboad in a metal case.  The clock
immediately began keeping accurate time again (well almost, still gained
about 30 seconds in a 48 hour contest).  The keyboard also solved another
problem.  When on 10 or 15 Meters, with certain beam headings -
particularly NE - as I keyed the rig, extraneous characters would
occassionally come up on the screen.  This does not happen with the new
keyboard.  I have not put any snap-on ferrites on this keyboard's cable;
it just isn't necessary.  They helped on the original plastic encased
keyboard, but still the clock problem and odd characters to the screen...
Bottom line, shielded keyboards work magic in a strong RF environment.
Thanks again guys, for the suggestions!

From: Patrick Barkey <pbarkey@wp.bsu.edu> (Patrick Barkey)
Subject: CAC recommends DXpeditions count for club scores

Ahem.

A note of reality here gentleman.  Does it ever occur to anyone that
permitting DXpeditions to count towards club scores (as the CQ WW has
done for as long as I can remember) will generate more expeditions and
thus make the contest more enjoyable for everyone?

Just to let people know that there isn't a conspiracy of elites behind
everything ...

   -- Pat
      WA8YVR

From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Subject: Towers near airports (W1PH)

--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105