RE Rohn 25G

Subject: RE Rohn 25G
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 14:37:04 1996
Concerning the recent thread on 25G's total inadequacy as tower material...
this one is 150' and is supporting a 4el M2 40 meter on an M2 Orion 2800P, a
KT34XA on a ring rotor, another tribander, and various 160/80 stuff draped
all over it... it is guyed with 4000# phillystran to Rohn guy brackets (not
just wrapped around the leg).... included below is part of a non reflector
email to a friend...

Well, we had a major windstorm here last night... Harry Brown airport had an
official 75 knots last night (87mph)...it bent their rotating beacon tower...
My satellite antennas behind the office blew over and the 2 meter crossed
yagi is now spare parts... the pickup truck cap which was sitting on saw
horses levitated into the wild blue yonder... I haven't surveyed that damage
yet..
The big tower appears fine...I see that the tip of dir #4 on the kt34xa is up
over one of the phillystran guys... I don't think that is a problem...  the
beam does not appear bent... It looks like I can just rotate the other way
and have it pop loose... but, the wind still gusting to 45 , so I will leave
it until it calms down...  right at dusk I was watching the beams for a
while, and they were taking a beating... the wind was chopping and shifting,
varying 30 to 40 degrees from gust to gust... just shaking the beams like a
dog shaking a rope...  the kt34xa on the ring rotor would actually rear up,
with the end of the beam rising several feet vertically as the ring took up
the slack in its wheels.......the phillystran was singing when touched ...
anyway, I know that the tower/philly is good to somewhere near 87 mph...

Denny   k8do@aol.com