to weld, or not to weld

Subject: to weld, or not to weld
From: ad4tu@esinet.net (ad4tu@esinet.net)
Date: Mon Mar 25 23:05:49 1996
Gentlemen,

        As summer approaches and I enter the final planning stage of
installing between 3 and 5 (a question of $) towers of different types at my
new QTH I want to resolve for once and for all a question that has been
lingering in my mind for some time.  When fabricating a Rebar cage to be
incorporated in the concrete base of a tower, should one weld the Rebar
sections together or tie them with wire?  I recall being counseled both for
and against in the past without any particular reasons being cited.  In
installing a small crankup at the current QTH I tacked the sections together
with a mild steel stick at low amperage just to hold the thing in place
while the soup got poured around it---seems to have worked??? So, if you are
a welder, tower installer, tower owner or anyone at all with opinions and/or
facts that are based in reality please offer such in an e-mail to me at the
address below.  I will summarize to the reflector if a revelation occurs as
the result of this information gathering.

73 de Pete

ad4tu@esinet.net
Email:      ad4tu@esinet.net