Stub QTHs - pretty much so a consensus...but

Subject: Stub QTHs - pretty much so a consensus...but
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 12:18:17 1996
Hi Tony,

>I'd suggest that if this type of stub doesn't work, you must probably
>have something rectifying or arcing out near the antennas, and no stub
>can cure that problem, because the offending signal is being
>generated downstream from the stub and is in-band. One contest,
>we had all sorts of problems with interstation interference, and tore
>out many things, including hair. Finally the problem was traced to
>a bad barrel connector in the main feed for station 2, which was arcing
>depending on position. Stubs can't fix this problem!
>
>GL-
>
>-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com

There are lot's of designs for stub systems, but the design for maximum
harmonic attenuation will always place the stubs about 1/4 wl apart at the
reject frequency, and the first stub 1/4 wl from a low impedance generator at
the reject frequency.

What you say is very true, and there can also be another even more common
problem the stubs won't fix. Most rigs require 25 to 40 dB fundamental
attenuation, and the TX stubs won't help that at all. The only cure is a
passband filter or reject filter in the receive path, or some pretty wide
antenna separation.

Stub away if it's a harmonic problem, things will improve. But I'd bet most
of the time it's a combo problem TX stubs won't completely cure.

73 Tom