(Fwd from K0KR via NQ0I) Guywire Anchor Posts

Subject: (Fwd from K0KR via NQ0I) Guywire Anchor Posts
From: devans@lynx.colorado.edu (D. R. Evans)
Date: Wed Apr 24 15:05:54 1996
From:          al511@freenet.uchsc.edu (Robert Neece)
Subject:       possible e-mail to cq-contest
To:            al019@freenet.uchsc.EDU

The reflector has been rich with valuable commentary on guy anchor posts.

For the most part, the comments have been anecdotal, in the
vein of "this is what has worked for me."  Few comments have been
truly analytical or quantitative in nature.  This is not necessarily a bad
thing.  Many of us prefer seat-of-the-pants overkill to having to engage
in what might be a tedious (and perhaps expensive) rigorous, quantitative
evaluation of the relevant mechanics.  We want to avoid unreasonable
hazards.  All the same, we want to erect some metal and get on the air,
sooner rather than later.

The comments on the reflector reveal quite a spectrum of experience with
elevated anchors.  Successes, though, appear to outweigh failures by a
substantial margin.

I am the last person who would be inclined to overlook probable failure
modes.  But some of the comments express a concern over possible failures
that I myself have not known to occur.  I'd be interested, therefore, in
more information about actual failures.  This might better inform us about
where, on the basis of experience, problems are likely to arise, and
better prepare us to avoid them.

I am curious, for example, about the basis for a few of the comments
posted in recent days:

>>   Do use galvenized Steel I-Beams, rather than tubular, due to
>>   breaking strength.

Does this imply that tubular steel pipe of proper characteristics has so
low a breaking strength as to render it the weak link in the chain, that
is, that the pipe may be predicted to fail before the guy-wire material
itself?  I assume that by  "breaking strength" the writer means not the
*tensile* strength of good steel pipe (which one might assume to be far
greater than the tensile strength of even EHS cable) but, rather, that the
pipe might bend where it enters the concrete, and fracture at that point.
Has anyone seen this happen?  If so, how high was the pipe out of the
ground, and what kind of pipe was used?

>>   Do go as deep as possible. (100' tower, I'd go minimum of 10 feet!)

One must grant, I am sure, that the needed depth for a secure anchor is a
function of, among other variables, the nature of the soil, the load
presented by the tower and antennas, and the height of the anchor point
above ground.  I know of several large installations (150'+) in
severe-wind environments that have survived for decades with anchors no
more than five feet deep.  I hasten to add, though, that those
installations are in stable, rocky soil, and the above-ground height of
the anchor is no more than five feet.  What is the deepest anchor anyone
has seen pivot in the ground?  What kind of soil was involved? What were
the other operative factors?

>It's important that whatever you use as a "post", should have some sort
>of plate or rods tied in at the bottom so that it has no chance of
>pulling out of the block of concrete.

I have been assured by people whose knowledge and judgment I trust that
the adhesion of properly prepared and cured concrete to a large-diameter
steel pipe that is imbedded deeply enough in the concrete is an amazingly
great adhesion indeed.  This should obviate any material advantage to
attaching bottom fins or plates to the post.  Is my information unsound?
Does anyone here know of an instance in which a pipe pulled out of the
concrete itself?  If so, what length of pipe was imbedded in the concrete?

I am afraid, by the way, that the rigor of the specifications provided by
some of the tower and hardware manufacturers themselves is not as great as
we might prefer.  Some of the data supplied by a popular tower
manufacturer does not withstand scrutiny.  Beware of placing unquestioning
faith in the catalogues and data sheets.

--
73 de Bob, K0KR