sinking grd rods w/pop bottle

Subject: sinking grd rods w/pop bottle
From: ny5b@sol.wf.net (ny5b@sol.wf.net)
Date: Thu May 9 01:22:12 1996
With all the discussion concerning putting ground rods in the grounds
I am suprised that no one has mentioned the "coke bottle" method.

I too have busted my knuckles with a 4 lbs hammer and I have also
attempted the water jet method.  Both methods have worked for me but
I always go back to the old "coke (i.e. coca-cola) bottle" routine.
Am I the only one familiar with this?

Begin by filling the bottle with water.  Pour a small amount on the
ground where you want the rod placed.  Start the rod by "jabbing" it
into the ground.  Pull it out and keep jabbing it back in.  When the
hole gets dry, again pour a small amount of water in the hole and
begin the jabbing process over again.  If you pour too much water you
will have to let it soak in because the suction created by all the
water will be too great to overcome.  A ten foot rod may take
slightly more or less water than the one full bottle....I guess that
probably depends on the soil.

Im sure the first question to arise will be that of bedrock or
sandstone or whatever.  All I can say is that I have never failed to
sink the rod by hand up until the last few feet which is when I get
the ole hammer back out.

This method seems to work well here in the red clay of North Texas
as well as the rocky soils of the Rocky Mountains.  And when I finish
Ill have time to finish off a full beer while the guy with the hammer is still
banging away!

73!

Dale  NY5B