Little lots 'n' tall towers

Subject: Little lots 'n' tall towers
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 8 23:45:29 1996
>general and set back restrictions from property lines
>reflect this in many municipalities.

Hi, Scott --

     The base is about the LAST place where they'll break.  Typically, a
guyed tower will collapse onto itself because of the restraint placed on the
tower by the guy wires.  It can only far as the guy wires will let it.

  For you who asked:  The house I am
>buying is inside the city limits of Knoxville, TN, and
>when I called the city gov't looking for information, I
>was hooked up with John Van Hoos, WA4OHS, who
>oversees this type of thing - having a ham there really
>made it easy to get my questions answered, with him
>having a tower of his own in Knoxville.  There are no
>height restrictions.  No building permit necessary.
>Tower-friendly if I ever saw it.  I did not get the set-back
>limitation, however, and that will be my first question
>tomorrow.

    Well, that certainly is an enlightened way to handle things.
 Congratulations for finding the needle in the haystack.

73 and good luck on your new installation,   Steve   K7LXC]

             TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies and services for
amateurs

From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten)

On Wed, 8 May 1996 19:30:02 -0400, KY2P@aol.com wrote:
>  No building permit necessary.
> Tower-friendly if I ever saw it.  I did not get the set-
back
> limitation, however, and that will be my first question
> tomorrow.

Liability.  Don't worry about it.  Your standard homeowners
insurance, which protects you in a slip and fall case, will
cover you if your tower falls on a neighbor's house.

In Massachusetts, it is Form HO-3, Section 2 "General
Liability."

No building permit necessary.  I'd do handflips to try and
get one anyway, as it is proof that, should the city/town
ever change its by-law that you are a "prior existing use."
In my role as an ARRL Volunteer Counsel, I had exactly that
case once and we couldn't prove by any documents that the
tower was a prior existing use, so it was cheaper to apply
for a new permit when the by-law changed than to litigate.
But at least the guy didn't have to take anything down or
lower its height.

Set back.  Not all building inspectors will think about it,
but the tricky question is whether the set back is to the
guy anchor, or to the tower.  In one case I advised, the
Building Inspector measured to the tower for the first
tower, and to the guy anchors for the second tower.
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105

From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Subject: Video document ur contest/pedition

Please remember that I am a professional video/film guy (scientific name)
and am interested in traveling with you to your contest or dxpedition
location to video your efforts and edit results.  Have gear, will travel
(the more exotic the better, but warm beats cold).  73, K4VUD