Little lots 'n' tall towers

Subject: Little lots 'n' tall towers
From: bill.riffle@ccmail.bsis.com (bill.riffle@ccmail.bsis.com)
Date: Thu May 9 14:43:44 1996
I do not want everyone to believe that the towers will not
Break at the base.  I had one that did.

I had a 70 foot tower that was guyed.  A strong thunderstorm
came through while was at work.  One of the guy anchors
pulled out of the ground and it did not collapse but went
completely horizontal the full length of the tower.  This is
a Rohn 45g

I had stacked 10 15 and 20 meter monobanders on top.
When they fall through trees and branches, there is not
much left.  I think having so much on top, the wind
pulled (pushed ) it horizontal.  (I am not an engineer
so I'm not sure of the forces that came into play here).

I have since replaced the base and the tower is back up.
I think the antennas helped cushion the fall and saved
most of the tower.

Bill - WA4LBJ

>general and set back restrictions from property lines
>reflect this in many municipalities.

Hi, Scott --

     The base is about the LAST place where they'll break.  Typically, a
guyed tower will collapse onto itself because of the restraint placed on the
tower by the guy wires.  It can only far as the guy wires will let it.

  For you who asked:  The house I am
>buying is inside the city limits of Knoxville, TN, and
>when I called the city gov't looking for information, I
>was hooked up with John Van Hoos, WA4OHS, who
>oversees this type of thing - having a ham there really
>made it easy to get my questions answered, with him
>having a tower of his own in Knoxville.  There are no
>height restrictions.  No building permit necessary.
>Tower-friendly if I ever saw it.  I did not get the set-back
>limitation, however, and that will be my first question
>tomorrow.

    Well, that certainly is an enlightened way to handle things.
 Congratulations for finding the needle in the haystack.

73 and good luck on your new installation,   Steve   K7LXC]

             TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies and services for
amateurs

From: Douglas Zwiebel <KR2Q@worldnet.att.net> (Douglas Zwiebel)
Subject: towers & liability

This is not really about contesting, but is certainly worth mentioning (IMHO).

I am shocked and appalled to read the replies stating, more or less, that
"for a few bucks, it's covered by insurance."  You folks are missing the point.

First, for the person who was worried about the kids climbing the tower and
falling off, I'm glad you're worried, but insurance is not what is important.
What if the kid(s) die?  Or suffer a spinal cord injury?  Is MONEY what you
should be worrying about?  NO!

And if the tower falls on your neighbor's house and KILLS someone or maims
someone, is MONEY your major concern?  I hope not!

To be sure, in this (USA) litigious society, you will be sued, but what about
the potential loss of life and limb?  Gee Whiz....if you're concerned about
that stuff, FENCE IN THE TOWER AND GATE IT, or use ANTICLIMB sections.  And
DON'T construct your tower so that if it does fall, it will go beyond your
property lines.  Studies showing that they fall within X% of the height are
good, but when the potential for LIFE LOSS exists, which way would you prefer
to err?

Additionally, as one who HAS been involved in TWO law suits in consecutive
houses, let me remind those who think that "insurance will cover it" that
there much more to a law suit than money.  My first suit lasted 12 months and
my second one lasted 18 months.  IT IS ENTIRELY NO FUN AND WORTH AVOIDING!!!
If you can avoid this through PREVENTION, DO IT!!!!!!  There is NOTHING to
put a damper on your spirits (life) like a law suit from irate neighbor(s).
Yes, get good insurance coverage, but go out of your way to avoid creating
situations which can potentially lead to NEEDING insurance.

de Doug  KR2Q@worldnet.att.net

From: Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW" <gswanson@arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW)
Subject: CQSS

Okay, here's something I found buried in the documentation for Lan-Link:

"APPENDIX 8  Other PC Software by Joe Kasser G3ZCZ

<snip>

CQSS

Sweepstakes game complied in Turbo BASIC. Work the ARRL
Sweepstakes contest on your computer. You are located just
outside Washington DC. A propagation model is built in to the
program. This program is REQUIRED training for all sweepstakes
operators. Earlier version of the program is described in detail
in 'Software for Amateur Radio' by Joe Kasser, G3ZCZ, published by
TAB Books, Blue Ridge Summit, PA. 17214."

I've seen Joe's "Contest" and "Logbook"  programs out in FTP land
somewhere, but not CQSS. Anyone seen it? Any good? Availability?

PSE reply directly to me at: kb1gw@arrl.org

     73, Glenn, KB1GW

From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> (Pete Smith)

At 05:05 PM 5/9/96 GMT, Doug wrote:
>This is not really about contesting, but is certainly worth mentioning (IMHO).
>
>I am shocked and appalled to read the replies stating, more or less, that
>"for a few bucks, it's covered by insurance."  You folks are missing the point.
>
>First, for the person who was worried about the kids climbing the tower and
>falling off, I'm glad you're worried, but insurance is not what is important.
>What if the kid(s) die?  Or suffer a spinal cord injury?  Is MONEY what you
>should be worrying about?  NO!

Hey, whoa, hang on!  Nobody said anything about not doing the preventive
things you mentioned.  My tower is climb-protected and will shortly be
fenced.  It has scarey signs all over the base.   But I'm very aware that
"attractive nuisances" like swimming pools and towers can't be totally
protected from the ingenuity of active kids, and that liability insurance is
an important part of an overall protection plan.  I just wanted to pass
along my experience with a relatively inexpensive source for same.

73,

Pete Smith N4ZR (n4zr@contesting.com)

From: barry@w2up.wells.com (barry) (barry)
Subject: Re[2]: Little lots 'n' tall towers

bill.riffle@ccmail.bsis.com writes:

> I do not want everyone to believe that the towers will not
> Break at the base.  I had one that did.
>
> I had a 70 foot tower that was guyed.  A strong thunderstorm
> came through while was at work.  One of the guy anchors
> pulled out of the ground and it did not collapse but went
> completely horizontal the full length of the tower.  This is
> a Rohn 45g

There is one reason why a tower will break at its base (IMO)
- improper installation:
1. Guy anchor not installed properly or to spec (as above case
illustrates)
2. Base not installed properly (either no crshed stone at bottom of hole
for drainage, if bottom section set in concrete; or water pools at base
causing it to rust out).
Moral of story - construction specs are there for a reason.

--

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA

From: Jay Kesterson <jayk@bits.fc.hp.com> (Jay Kesterson)

> There is one reason why a tower will break at its base (IMO)
> - improper installation:
> 1. Guy anchor not installed properly or to spec (as above case
> illustrates)
> 2. Base not installed properly (either no crshed stone at bottom of hole
> for drainage, if bottom section set in concrete; or water pools at base
> causing it to rust out).

  3. While your on a two week vacation irate neighbor unscrews turnbuckles
  from west (windward) guywires on 117' of Rohn 55. Tower breaks where the
  first and second section join and falls between the two remaining guy
  points. Misses barn by three feet.

  Really happened at a station where I used to do contests. Not enough
  evidence to file charges. (Guess this also applies to the Horror
  Story thread)

> Moral of story - construction specs are there for a reason.

  Moral of story#2 - remember the safety wires (although they won't stop
  the determined)

73, Jay  K0GU                  jayk@fc.hp.com